2011 cummins

Omgbecki

Anyone willing to explain the power steering on this machine? I've heard it's based of the brake system. Is there truth to that? How does it work. I've noticed that mainly when back a trailer up my steering gets really tough but I feel it's only because I'm going slow and kinda on the brake. Thanks.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Yes. There are 2 lines that go from the booster to the pump. I can't exactly explain how it works. I am guessing you are having a common problem with one of those lines. They have a teflon core that separates from the hose and it will restrict flow. I cannot recall of it is the feed or return side that comes apart.

Have you noticed a whine while driving that sometimes changes with the amount of vacuum being generated?

Omgbecki

Yes I have. The hard part for me is it hasn't been constant so it's been hard to chase down. It's three first time I've ever ran into this

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
99% certain one of those lines is the problem. IIRC, you may be able to tell by taking the end off at the booster and you might see the teflon liner sticking into the fitting.

Omgbecki

Cool. I'll check it out. I'm actually looking into buying this truck. And so far that is the only thing I've found wrong. Any other things I should look at? Trans is new with warranty. It pulls like a dream. I have some good seat time in the truck and outside of typical mopar stuff

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Have the injectors been replaced? If they have more than 100k on them, you may want to factor in replacing them sooner than later.,.........especially if you will be using it for a lot of towing. A bad injector is what caused me to stick the #6 piston on mine while I was towing my toy hauler (18K pound) Other than that, the motor is very reliable......especially since you are not dealing with DEF on that year. Transmission will treat you good as long as you treat it good. If you are towing a heavy load, I recommend manually shifting it up through the gears and not using 6th gear unless you are going over 70 mph. Heat will kill this tranny and a heavy load at 1500 rpm in 6th gear will build heat fast.

Omgbecki

That's exactly why it has a new trans. They over heated the trans and boiled the fluid. I personally don't plan on doing a lot of towing but sometimes it gets that duty for work. Im actually looking into buying it from the owner of my employment.

xjtony

I have a 2012 2500. The only real issues I have had, like most dodges that I have owned, are electrical. Clock spring, window buttons, etc. The biggest issue that I have with mine is the transponder key. The contacts in the ignition switch get dirty/ bent and need to be cleaned regularly. I only tow my buggy or a light weight bumper pull camper, and I've never seen the transmission get above 205.

4x4_Welder

The power steering pump also provides fluid to the brake hydroboost system. IIRC the rpms on that drop to 500 in reverse, if the power steering pump is worn then it may not be able to provide enough pressure/flow to maintain the boost in reverse.