2016 Jeep IFS??

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I couldn't be mad with Jeep if they decided to make some drastic changes to comply with EPA/GOV. Honestly I think it would be a smart business decision for them. Most people don't buy a Wrangler because of the solid axles. Most people buy a Wrangler because it's cool, the top and doors come off and because of the Jeep name. I honestly think if Jeep were to redesign the Wrangler to be more fuel efficient and more comfortable to drive they would jump their sales through the roof. They would of course have to keep the essence of the Wrangler minus the solid axle up front. I would never purchase one but most of us on this site are the minority when it comes to caring about the solid axle.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
IMO, it would be a major blow to the Jeep brand to go IFS on the Wrangler. Some folks really like IFS, but many Jeep loyal are loyal because of solid axles. Take solid axles away and it will severly damage the brand to purists. Can it succeed? Probably (TJDukit beat me to the post and I agree with what he said). I think alot of the new (especially 4 door) wranglers never see dirt and aren't bought by enthusists, but the purists will either do a SAS or stick to older rigs.

roverrocks

Things could get much much much worse than this frightening article. THIS could be the new all-green Wrangler in the coming Apocalyptic world. The End may be near!!!

Attachments

• Moz Jeep1.jpg
    Moz Jeep1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 30

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Oh great, the Wrangler is going to become a 4wd Miata.... Kidding aside, there were designs in the making for the original JK to have IFS but the idea got booted.

roverrocks

Land Rover totally went the way of the Devil so why not the Wrangler as well. The new Cherokee and Grand Cherokee are basically mall cruisers for LA. Land Rover went away from solid axles to compete in the new 98% urban world. Sad. Sad. Sad.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I honestly think if Jeep were to redesign the Wrangler to be more fuel efficient and more comfortable to drive they would jump their sales through the roof.

The most ironic thing about your comment is that Jeep is already at max building capacity for the Wrangler. They can't even keep up with the current demand, which is fascinating when you consider the JK is currently entering its eighth year of the current body style.

Rock Taco

I couldn't be mad with Jeep if they decided to make some drastic changes to comply with EPA/GOV. Honestly I think it would be a smart business decision for them. Most people don't buy a Wrangler because of the solid axles. Most people buy a Wrangler because it's cool, the top and doors come off and because of the Jeep name. I honestly think if Jeep were to redesign the Wrangler to be more fuel efficient and more comfortable to drive they would jump their sales through the roof. They would of course have to keep the essence of the Wrangler minus the solid axle up front. I would never purchase one but most of us on this site are the minority when it comes to caring about the solid axle.

I agree with this as well, but I still think they will lose some market share. There are some that buy them only because they already have a solid axle and are easy to modify for what we like to do. I think some give up quality for convenience. I am a Toyota guy at heart but I will admit Jeeps currently are the best equipped from the factory. I think that if they go IFS then they lose that and unless they can drastically increase the quality then there is no advantage to buying a jeep. Besides the ability to take the top and doors off that is. :D

sixstringsteve

x2.

That being said, they don't seem to have a problem selling JKs as is. I hear they're one of the hotteset new cars that dealers can't keep on the lot. People buying a jeep don't buy it for the ride quality. However, my boss at work was looking at them, and he didn't buy one because of the ride quality. If a JK rode like a Land Rover, he probably would have purchased it.

An IFS jeep will still be far more capable than most jeep owners will ever need. Most Jeep owners (and most 4x4 owners in general) don't know how or when to disconnect their sway bars, lock their hubs, or shift into low range. For those types of people, IFS will be more than enough. What percent of jeep owners will ever drive over a rock larger than a basketball? 5% maybe? I could definitely see the bean-counters going this route.

For the hardcore crawlers, they're going to ditch their d30 or d44 anyway, and the majority of them pay someone else to perform their modifications. I could see a solid axle swap on an IFS JK still being very simple and straightforward. In the end, it's not much more work than upgrading to a long arm kit and d60s anyway. These are the only people that will really feel the IFS is holding them back anyway. I'm convinced an IFS JK on 35-37's would be PLENTY capable. Having owned solid axle rigs and IFS rigs, I'd actually prefer an IFS JK myself (I know, blasphemy).

Last edited:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I do believe that they are talking in plural. Meaning FIS (Fully Independent Suspension), not just IFS.

That said, Land Rover went that way with the LR4, and I've seen LR4's in places that might surprise you. The question really is about execution. IF Jeep goes FIS, BUT does all it can to maintain the off-road capability that the Wrangler name evokes, then who cares if it's FIS? Now, if it goes the route of this new Cherokee, then we have a problem!

Land Rover is currently in this dilemma with it's replacement for the Defender. They are trying to maintain the heritage, but provide the market with an entirely new, modern vehicle. The concept they came out with a year or so ago was a pretty good attempt. We'll see what they finally come up with.

Rock Taco

I do believe that they are talking in plural. Meaning FIS (Fully Independent Suspension), not just IFS.

That said, Land Rover went that way with the LR4, and I've seen LR4's in places that might surprise you. The question really is about execution. IF Jeep goes FIS, BUT does all it can to maintain the off-road capability that the Wrangler name evokes, then who cares if it's FIS? Now, if it goes the route of this new Cherokee, then we have a problem!

Land Rover is currently in this dilemma with it's replacement for the Defender. They are trying to maintain the heritage, but provide the market with an entirely new, modern vehicle. The concept they came out with a year or so ago was a pretty good attempt. We'll see what they finally come up with.

Yes you are correct. For some reason I looked right over that. If that is what happens then they will lose much more credibility in the off road community. I'm not saying you need solid axles front and rear but at least one is nice.

What will this do to the aftermarket? Think of the availability of after market parts for IFS or both IFS and IRS currently. Toyotas have been IFS since late 85 and there is still not nearly the same amount of aftermarket (bolt on) items available as there are for solid axle jeeps. Do you think all of these aftermarket manufactures will make the change?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Yes you are correct. For some reason I looked right over that. If that is what happens then they will lose much more credibility in the off road community. I'm not saying you need solid axles front and rear but at least one is nice.

What will this do to the aftermarket? Think of the availability of after market parts for IFS or both IFS and IRS currently. Toyotas have been IFS since late 85 and there is still not nearly the same amount of aftermarket (bolt on) items available as there are for solid axle jeeps. Do you think all of these aftermarket manufactures will make the change?
It depends on how Jeep executes the change if it does, to be honest I don't think you have the requirements with Toyota as you do with Jeep. For example let's do something mild 31" tall tires, pre-JK according to what I read in forums you had to have a 3" lift to fit them, with a Toyota they came stock. If Jeep decides to execute a IFS/IRS half assed, puts 28" tires on it stock, weak axles, gutless motor then I think things are going to get ugly.

Trate D

7C52D6A9-0AE2-4869-A121-9D269D9F1473-7314-00000D2498041B48_zps2acfc7cd.jpg
E98484C5-EF4F-4EF3-9734-7842F59D78E0-7314-00000D27441D9341_zps0581ffdc.jpg

I will take 2 of these....

Last edited: