21 Road Snow/Ice bashing, Grand Junction, CO

wallysheata

thought i'd share our adventures from yesterday. Jasongjco1 and I headed up 21 Road today in search of fresh powder, well we were about a week late, most of the trail was iced over with very few sections of fresh snow. Carrie & Bandit joined me, while Jasons dog Zeus & his buddy Silo joined Jason. We played down low for a few and then went right to the upper section, finished the trail and turned around all within 4 hours....enough talk...here's the pics.

Our trail leaders Bandit and Zeus
IMG_6057.jpg

One of MANY holes to form in the ice throughout the day
IMG_6058.jpg

Just getting going
IMG_6061.jpg

The ice ruts down low
IMG_6063.jpg

IMG_6064.jpg

Jason attacking the ice
IMG_6066.jpg

Jason on the lower section
IMG_6079.jpg

IMG_6080.jpg

IMG_6081.jpg

IMG_6084.jpg

IMG_6085.jpg

IMG_6086.jpg

My turn down low
IMG_6089.jpg

IMG_6090.jpg

Pretty scenery
IMG_6091.jpg

Ice crystals
IMG_6107.jpg

wallysheata

Me making a charge for the line before the alcove
IMG_6109.jpg

Bandit cheering me on
IMG_6111.jpg

IMG_6112.jpg

IMG_6113.jpg

Jason saw how much effort that was to get up and decided to go around
IMG_6115.jpg

Ice in the alcove
IMG_6116.jpg

IMG_6118.jpg

Time for my new favorite line in the Alcove
IMG_6125.jpg

IMG_6126.jpg

IMG_6127.jpg

IMG_6128.jpg

IMG_6129.jpg

IMG_6131.jpg

IMG_6132.jpg

IMG_6133.jpg

IMG_6134.jpg

IMG_6136.jpg

IMG_6137.jpg

IMG_6138.jpg

IMG_6139.jpg

wallysheata

OK, so just past the alcove the next line was pretty much impassable, those of you that know 21 rd or have seen the feature in CRAWL, this is the obstical most of the wheeling pics were taken on....well today, it was nothing but a 3' hole that swallowed my driver front tire and gave me HELL and this was after 5 minutes of trying like hell to make the line, and having jason winch me out cause i was so stuck :eek:

So here's the video of me stuck because my drivers front tire is burried in a 40" deep hole....right after Jason winched me back

On to some snow
IMG_6167.jpg

IMG_6168.jpg

IMG_6169.jpg

Some more ice formations along the way
IMG_6174.jpg

Carnage corner, aka ice waterfall corner :eek: which denied both of us
IMG_6175.jpg

Here's living proof after about 10 attempts it was painfully OBVIOUS i was not going to make it :rofl: Even Bandit agreed and told me to go around :lolly:

So we took the "easy" line to the left as you can see in the video,

here's the pic
IMG_6193.jpg

Getting ready to attack the upper section
IMG_6199.jpg

IMG_6202.jpg

IMG_6203.jpg

IMG_6207.jpg

IMG_6210.jpg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Ballsy! Props to you guys for tackling 21 Road in the Winter and making it all the way thru! Those are both bad-ass rigs, looks like they work very well too.

Brosiph4x4

Great Pics Wally I should have gone but need to fix buggy and go through this and that. Looks like you and Clark had a blast i cant belive you guys made it so far,
usually in the winter it gets frikin nasty around jeep lane!!! any way sick pics!!!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Photos of 21 road reminds me of hometown wheelin. I really need to get out there. I think the rig will have to venture that way this next year for sure.

rondo

rondo
Awesome pics! Looks like a great trail. I plan to run this trail in the may timeframe. I've wheeled with the guy in the TJ on Billings canyon. Great rig.