250x vs 125t

MattL

Straight up im a wuss.
I want a lighter bike.
Im am considering a 2 stroke.
Kiinda looking at a yz125 for traiil riding.
I have no trail experience with 2t on the trail. I like/love the lugability my h 250x/r has on the hills and descents.
I have mtb background and am having commitment issues with the weight of the honda. Im sure its in my head and all, but just wanting other options/opinions.

I know Ill have to be "on the pipe" to make the bike work and potentially a flywheel weight, anything else I am overlooking?

D

Deleted member 12904

Straight up im a wuss.
I want a lighter bike.
Kiinda looking at a yz125 for traiil riding.
I have no trail experience with 2t on the trail. I like/love the lugability my h 250x/r has on the hills and descents.
I have mtb background and am having commitment issues with the weight of the honda. Im sure its in my head and all, but just wanting other options/opinions.

I know Ill have to be "on the pipe" to make the bike work and potentially a flywheel weight, anything else I am overlooking?

You won't like it Matt. Just from the one ride we did together I would say your riding style is closer to mine being not aggressive. A 2t will take more effort to ride on the trail. Want a lighter bike come ride mine for an afternoon and yours will fill like a feather.

MattL

Id be more aggressive if i was comfortable confident, i think.
My bike is very forgiving for such a turd rider that I am, I like it but just not in love with it.

D

Deleted member 12904

Id be more aggressive if i was comfortable confident, i think.
My bike is very forgiving for such a turd rider that I am, I like it but just not in love with it.
A125 2t won't make anything better for you. Maybe a lighter 250 mx bike with no street legal kit, battery or electric start. I just think the hard hitting high rpm pipe on a 125 2t will have you less confident

MattL

[video=youtube_share;VBoNZF3QDrw]http://youtu.be/VBoNZF3QDrw[/video]
This guy makes it work.
Thats the thing though, i dont really want a mx bike. I have no real desire to catch big air. I want a lighter trail bike.
I think the YZ is slated as a MX bike.... shrug.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12904

This guy makes it work.
Thats the thing though, i dont really want a mx bike. I have no real desire to catch big air. I want a lighter trail bike.
I think the YZ is slated as a MX bike.... shrug.
Ya I guess it may be just what your looking for I just don't think it is. On another note while your not a big guy you are certainly not small. I remember you being a tall guy 6' ish? A 125 will feel cramped

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I agree with Deviant. Not saying it can't be done but I think riding your 250X would be like a walk in the park compared to a 125 on the trail. Most 125's require a lot of effort to ride on the trail and sand was even worse. Been there and done that many times.

Completely contradicting what I just said I've been thinking about a 125 trail bike a lot lately. The Husqvarna WR125 (now the hot new TE125) has always had my attention. <insert daydreaming> I was thinking about finding a cheap used one (super rare) or building up a KX, KTM, YZ. I think the Rekluse, FWW and suspension valving would be mandatory possibly a big bore kit.. The more I think about it it just makes more sense to go with a 200. They do everything better.. :D

Good luck as always I highly recommend borrowing a bike for a day before buying one. If you're like me you can talk yourself into a lot of things that sound good until it actually happens---remember when I bought a Cannondale?! :rolleyes: :rofl:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
So your saying a 2t 200 would be better.... That's a KTM then right?

The 200s are great trail bikes. They offer the low end grunt that the 125's lack while being similar in weight. The more popular models are the Gas Gas EC200, KDX200/220 and the KTM 200. The GG and KTM are more on the high performance side (better components, suspension, ergo's etc) while the KDX is good all around. I rode a 97 KDX for years and it was a great bike in terms of reliability. It needed some upgrades though, the aftermarket exhaust was well worth the money as was the front suspension work. I personally like everything about the KTM and GG more except for purchase price. I think that is what made Steve's hybrid so cool is he took a great engine (KDX) and put in a modern chassis.

Bottom line: I would highly recommend the 200 2T to anyone looking for a good lightweight 2T trail bike. I would not recommend a 125 to anyone wanting a good lightweight trail bike.

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
I love my kdx 200 for what it's worth. Mine is a 1991, so no modern chassis here, but for trail riding I rarely feel limited by it (whoops are the exception, I run out of suspension pretty fast there).

rholbrook

250X is 228lbs dry. It's easy to ride because it can be lugged at low rpm. A 125 2 T has a tall first gear and not much bottom end. They rip once your on the pipe but I wouldn't want to ride one on the trails. You could find you a KDX and have a great bike. Buy Steve's old one, that bike is great

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time

:thumbs: :tara:

Always a good choice!
However, no go for the 125. Even after I geared and modded my wife's 125 it didn't have enough to be a good bike. It worked, but still lacked too much when in need. The 125 is on the same frame as the 250. You are talking about a very slight difference in weight. I have my 250 geared down and LOVE it. I lug it like a 4t, but can also rip like a 2t.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
If you want to drop a few lbs change from the crf250x to a crf250, then flywheel weight and lower gear. You'll drop a few lbs but not loose the lug-ability.

I really have enjoyed my friend's wr250 4t
compared to the weight of my bike yz400f
but it isn't any lighter than the CRF250x.

My recommendation is more practice with the bike. The more you ride the more comfortable you'll get.

I quite enjoy Jeeper's bike but the 4t top end is what allows me to keep up with superior riders like him.

sixstringsteve

Depending on the make, most 125s have a smaller frame than 250s. They just don't have enough low-end to lug around.

Another cool option is the TTR 250. It's a 4t, but it's meant to be ridden less aggressively. Those are great little singletrack bikes. They're heavier than a 2t, but they hold their weight well, and they have a low seat height which makes them easier to ride.