250x vs 125t

MattL

I liked your bike Steve, and the recommendation to ride more is probably the simplest way to solve the problem. I'm not really ready to buy another bike even though Ive had mine listed. I'm just rambling and a weakling. Honestly the 250x lugs and has saved me on some climbs that I thought I was seriously going to falter with. I really think its just me and need serious riding time. I have years on the mtb and just assumed id do alright. I can ride, just not with any finesse. Guess that is part of the frustration and learning of a new "hobby".

Where do get true weights, I get different weights on the 200 2t ktms.

I dont really want to get fixated on the weight thing either.

Guess I am displaying today's society, want it all now with no time in the saddle. Boo hoo on me. Guess I need to ride it soon.

Caleb

IMO, the closest to what you are describing is a 300. I loved my 300 and will probably own another some day, however after going back to a 4T, I have much less desire to get another 300. I've thought a 200 would be fun to have as a secondary bike that's used for more technical riding, but I think it would suck to have that as your primary bike. I know it's probably more money than you are wanting to spending, but the modern 4T bikes are getting quite light. Real world weight on my 500 is only a few pounds heavier than my 300 (500 is a '12 the 300 was an '08). Plus when riding my 500, it feels every bit as light as my 300 did and my 300 felt like it was 100lbs lighter than my 450x did. Your 250x isn't really much lighter than a 450x is.

Tonkaman

To really cut the weight your only real choice is a bike marketed as a race bike rather than a trail bike

Last edited:

rholbrook

Stratton's a cracker ass though. I used to tell my wife that I needed this or that to shave weight off the sled back in the day. She would just tell to stop eating as much and she's the weight off of me instead.

I just got done making a 250x run really good. I did a full FMF pipe, plugged the rev limiter into the blank spot, opened the airbox up and rejetted. It was very noticeably faster. The Rekluse never really slipped much prior but now it does so we may end up stiffening it up a bit

ricsrx

Bottom line: I would highly recommend the 200 2T to anyone looking for a good lightweight 2T trail bike. I would not recommend a 125 to anyone wanting a good lightweight trail bike.

x10, Hunter's 125 is a horible trail bike, but he likes to go fast and it does that very well for his weight

rholbrook

We had a guy with a YZ125 with 140 kit get his ass handed to him in Moab on a few trails. The guy is a good fast rider but it can be difficult to ride a bike that requires you to be on the pipe to get it to go through steep slow obstacles.

zukijames

If I got one it would be the husky so it still has low end.

but after getting worked over today I think I will stick with my xr200 haha

or xr250 any thoughts on those?

sixstringsteve

I've been schooled by a guy riding a kx 125 up af canyon. He was a way better rider than I was. I think it'd be a fun challenge. It would definitely make you a better (if not frustrated) rider.