2wd toyota pickup MPG?

sixstringsteve

I talked to a kid today who said he's getting 35-40 mpg out of his toyota pickup. It's a'92 22re 5-speed single cab 2wd. Has anyone here owned a similar toyota and can you confirm the awesome MPG he was getting? I looked online and everyone says you only get 20-25 out of those. If it's normal to get 35+ MPG out of those, I may have to pick one up.

sixstringsteve

If you got one it would only get that kind of mileage for the first week or so. :D:D;)

but I'd sell it a week later so it wouldn't matter :D

I dunno, it's a tiny motor, tiny tires, low to the ground, single-cab that doesn't weigh much. Definitely wishful thinking. Maybe he forgot to hit the reset button on his odometer and ended up filling the tank twice.

sixstringsteve

I don't commute enough to need the good MPG (I work 1.5 miles away). That'd just be my justification for another toyota pickup :D

Looks like I won't be getting one.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Buy a TDI VW.... I saw a 2000 Jetta for $2k the other day, much like my daily driver. 600 miles out of a tank!

Usually the light comes on my TDI around 550, I think I've only hit 600/tank once, I've never wanted to walk bad enough to try and hit 600 every tank. ;)

My dad's got a 93 toyota 2wd and he says he gets 31mpg. It's mostly running around Cache Valley so not much 80mph freeway driving.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
35-40 no way :p That said I wouldn't doubt low 30's under the right circumstances. Most R series 2wds that I've seen (carb or efi) are in the high 20's for highway driving. I'm thinking that the 2RZ pickups get even better mileage but I'm only saying that because my old Tacoma 3RZ (4x4) hit 27 once which was much higher than any R-series 4x4 I've ever owned :-\

OREGON85

from OREGON
Buy a TDI VW.... I saw a 2000 Jetta for $2k the other day, much like my daily driver. 600 miles out of a tank!

Was it the black one? I'm pretty sure that was a scam; there was no phone number or license plate and the closest I've ever seen has been about $5000. You could hardly get a '92 diesel Jetta for $2000.

I saw an early 80's diesel Toyota Pickup for $2100 on KSL. That might get into the upper 30's for MPG.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Usually the light comes on my TDI around 550, I think I've only hit 600/tank once, I've never wanted to walk bad enough to try and hit 600 every tank. ;)

My dad's got a 93 toyota 2wd and he says he gets 31mpg. It's mostly running around Cache Valley so not much 80mph freeway driving.

Have you done the ventectomy? You can squeeze about 1.5 more gallons in the tank, making 600 miles no problem. The absolute best I've ever done was 740 miles out of a tank... kept my speeds under 55 MPH, no A/C, easy on the throttle and braking, etc. I was driving a local highway back & forth for work and wasn't in a rush, it was cool to get that many miles out of a tank.... and I really pushed the fuel light, it was on for over 50 miles. :ugh:

Was it the black one? I'm pretty sure that was a scam; there was no phone number or license plate and the closest I've ever seen has been about $5000. You could hardly get a '92 diesel Jetta for $2000.

I saw an early 80's diesel Toyota Pickup for $2100 on KSL. That might get into the upper 30's for MPG.

Yeah, that was it... too bad. I have seen TDI's come up on Craigslist around here for $3k and I know they were real ads.

That Toyota would be a good choice for a gas sipper, the diesel engine is a 2L and I'm pretty sure it's a non-turbo. They're kind of doggy and not worth turning up, IIRC they have head gasket issues if pushed.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Have you done the ventectomy? You can squeeze about 1.5 more gallons in the tank, making 600 miles no problem. The absolute best I've ever done was 740 miles out of a tank... kept my speeds under 55 MPH, no A/C, easy on the throttle and braking, etc. I was driving a local highway back & forth for work and wasn't in a rush, it was cool to get that many miles out of a tank.... and I really pushed the fuel light, it was on for over 50 miles. :ugh:
I haven't done the ventectomy, it looks easy enough to do just haven't done it. Right now I fill up once a week so I might get another day out of a tank with the mod.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Didnt you get like 700+ one run?

Yep, just mentioned it in the post before yours... :p

The absolute best I've ever done was 740 miles out of a tank... kept my speeds under 55 MPH, no A/C, easy on the throttle and braking, etc. I was driving a local highway back & forth for work and wasn't in a rush, it was cool to get that many miles out of a tank.... and I really pushed the fuel light, it was on for over 50 miles. :ugh:

I haven't done the ventectomy, it looks easy enough to do just haven't done it. Right now I fill up once a week so I might get another day out of a tank with the mod.

It's super easy, I like getting as much in the tank for less time between fillups. I realize it doesn't change the MPG, but 600+ miles sure looks good!