Jeep 4.0 economy

Mope

I'm thinking of narrowing down my fleet (truck and sami) and getting a TJ with a 4.0 for my dd/weekend wheeler. I am interested in hearing what you all get mileage wise out of your jeeps. If possible please list your tire/gear combos, and what percent city/highway driving you get. Ideally I'd like 33's or 35's.

Thanks
Jason

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
My 4.0 ZJ with 35's and 4.56's (and 120k miles) got about 13-15 mpg freeway. That is about 15-20% less than my v8 ZJ gets with the same tires and gears. V8 power and economy!

But....the ZJ does weigh at least 1000 lbs more than a TJ. I would expect the TJ to get better mileage.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Im with Cody, I had a (4.0) TJ with 33's stock gears 14 mpg,
(4.0) Grand ZJ with 33's 4;56 14 mpg
(V8) Grand WJ with 32's stock 14 mpg

Id get a V8 WJ and turn in expedition, more comfortable and you can buy them cheaper. of coarse I really like the 4.0, just not all economic like you would think.. I dont know of a Jeep that is.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
06 LJ Rubicon, 4.88's, AOD, and 35's. Consistant 14mpg in the city traffic, but I've never checked the freeway mileage.

Mope

Hmm. Sounds like the V8 TJ would be a sweet way to go. I do like the removable top, looks etc. the TJ has over a WJ.

What is a typical highway speed for you guys? How is power? I'm trying to talk myself into one of these. I've always wanted one. Of course I'd have to sell the truck and sami first.

Thanks

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
It's pretty comfortable at 80 (although not so comfortable for the passengers). Driving to wheeling trips I've never felt the need to go over 65. It's just a more comfortable speed.

Mope

70ish would be a pretty comfortable speed for me. So it sounds like things would work.

Keep em coming! Your reports seem to be about what I was thinking they would be.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
girlfriends has a 4.0 with auto and 33's and the gears are 3.07 and she gets about 13-14 mpg... my 5.2lt v8 ZJ with 31 and stock gears (i think 3.73) gets about 17 on the freeway and 15 around town unless I hear that mighty roar of a gas pedal hitting the floor... lol

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Wish we had the auto. Haven't heard good things about the 3 speed, but you can always go AW4 ($ :( )

Mope

Nice info. Didn't they put the 4-speed auto in about 2000 or so? I like the numbers you have DaveB. What rpm's are you running? I'm trying to figure out what rpms these engines turn for best economy.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I get about 18-21 MPG (depends on how many are in my carpool over Johnson's pass) with my 95 ZJ 4.0. And thats with 2" lift, stock 3.73s and 31s. And, at 170,000 miles.

tj1230

My 04 rubi w/ 4.11 gears and 32 and 3 inch lift" and auto tranny normally gets about 16 mpg. My best no lie is 21.6 Highway. I also have a custom intake and change my plugs every two oil changes. I run sythentics bumper to bumper.

Coco

mine has been to 90 on the freeway (wont do it again)

but I seem to get better MPG around town then I do on the freeway.

4.0 TJ 4.10s, and 35s

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
highway speed on the 4.0 ZJ was about 55-60, down to 45-50 over big hills. Maybe 65 with a tail wind.

v8 ZJ---whatever speed I want. I usually cruise at about 70-75 since my poorly balanced tires start to wobble over 85.

moabjeepers77

'06 rubicon unlilmited. 5.5" RE lift w/35's, standard trans. Buying Chevron gas it's consitently at 16.5 mpg. Buying maverick gas...15 mpg. I'm not saying the chevron gas is worth the extra cost...but for what ever reason, mine seems to like the Chevron gas better for economy. 30,000 miles, drive it everyday.

Bart

TJ's have the aerodynamics of a brick. You can expect between 13 to 16 mpg, even on the freeway, and less with an auto although that is my choice. Nate on this forum swapped a 5.9 into his and didn't get much better. You've got to justify the mileage with the coolness factor.