Jeep 4.0 economy

Mope

TJ's have the aerodynamics of a brick. You can expect between 13 to 16 mpg, even on the freeway, and less with an auto although that is my choice. Nate on this forum swapped a 5.9 into his and didn't get much better. You've got to justify the mileage with the coolness factor.

Very true. Thats why I'd really like one.

The mileage is about what I was expecting, and I can live with what they are getting. We still have my wifes car for going on long trips. I would like to be able to jump in this, and drive to where I want to play around, and drive it home again.

Thanks to everyone for there input!! I'm going to check if there is interest in my samurai and pickup.

One other thing. In your opinion, do you prefer to start stock, and build so you know just what you have? Or do you prefer to buy it built up a bit? I know the second choice is cheaper, but sometimes its nice to know just what you have.

EDIT: And just for Cody, I'd have to put a fart can or something on it, so he can hear all those angry little critters have to say!!! lol

Last edited:

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
One other thing. In your opinion, do you prefer to start stock, and build so you know just what you have? Or do you prefer to buy it built up a bit? I know the second choice is cheaper, but sometimes its nice to know just what you have.

We bought our jeep built exactly how we wanted it. We made a list of exactly what we wanted, and looked what was available. Then we waited for a few months until we found the perfect one for a decent price. I ended up flying out to Ohio and driving it home. Compared to what was available in the market at the time, it was well worth it. It was going to be our rig to drive and play in, because we were living in apartments going to college. We just didn't have a place to park a tow rig, trail rig, and trailer. along with our commuter car.

Then we moved into a house, now we have plenty of room for parking, and we will be redoing our suspension within the next year and buying a truck.

For what I knew at the time, our TJ was a very wise purchase. Now our situation has changed, and that decision is going to cost us a few dollars. I personally think that if you can buy a rig exactly like you want it, there's no reason not to. You save money, and time (I'd rather wheel than work on a rig).

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Nice info. Didn't they put the 4-speed auto in about 2000 or so? I like the numbers you have DaveB. What rpm's are you running? I'm trying to figure out what rpms these engines turn for best economy.

I can't say for sure on the RPMs since I didn't use a tach in my conversion but the 4.56 ratio I have with 32 inch tires is the equivalent to running 4.10 gears with 29 inch tires so my RPMs would be a bit higher than a stock XJ with 3.55 gears or my ZJ with 3.73 gears. I did use a better air intake on my 4.0 and a better cat back exhaust system. My 96 ZJ also gets around 20 MPG on the highway but 15 around town.

Mope

We bought our jeep built exactly how we wanted it. We made a list of exactly what we wanted, and looked what was available. Then we waited for a few months until we found the perfect one for a decent price. I ended up flying out to Ohio and driving it home. Compared to what was available in the market at the time, it was well worth it. It was going to be our rig to drive and play in, because we were living in apartments going to college. We just didn't have a place to park a tow rig, trail rig, and trailer. along with our commuter car.

Then we moved into a house, now we have plenty of room for parking, and we will be redoing our suspension within the next year and buying a truck.

For what I knew at the time, our TJ was a very wise purchase. Now our situation has changed, and that decision is going to cost us a few dollars. I personally think that if you can buy a rig exactly like you want it, there's no reason not to. You save money, and time (I'd rather wheel than work on a rig).

Thats my situation as well. I get harassed day and night for what I have, and get turned in if I try to work on it.

Thanks for all the good info in this thread. I hope I can make something work out. I'm going to go drive a couple today at dealerships, and see what things I like/dislike about them.

Green Leader

01 TJ, auto, 3:73 & 37's get 15 mph i have done 90 on the freeway was very smooth i usually go about 70 to 75 almost everyday with no trouble at all. the ride is really nice for a jeep.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
These are toys, mpg shouldn't really matter. That being said, on my last trip back from Moab while towing my loaded up 3x5 tire trailer with 3.73's and 31's I was averaging just over 17mpg. That was driving 70-75 all the way home. With the 33's on and going 50 down Potash Road, it was like 18mpg. Can't remember what stock mpg was like, that was over 9 years ago. I will be running 4.10's soon, so should be a great compromise between 31's on the street and 33's on the trail.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
These are toys, mpg shouldn't really matter.

:rolleyes: [hypothetical situation]I'm going on vacation to Hawaii, I don't care how much the plane ticket costs because I'm going on vacation. [/hypothetical situation]

Yes, gas mileage matters. I was looking at an 8.1L tow rig until I researched the gas mileage. 7-8 mpg would directly affect the number of wheeling trips I would be able to take every year (it's called a budget ;) )

Mope

Well, I went and drove a bone stock 01 sport 5 speed with 30x9.50's on it. I am just getting a feel to how they drive etc. I must say I was very impressed with the ride and the power. (comparing to a sami of course about anything is nice).
I took it up to 75 in 5th, and it was tacking 2500 rpm. Playing around with a gear calc, it would appear that there are 4.10's in it. My understanding was they either had 3.73's or 3.08's in them, and only the 4 bangers had the 4.10's. Does this sound right?

jeepspeedtj

01 TJ, auto, 3:73 & 37's get 15 mph i have done 90 on the freeway was very smooth i usually go about 70 to 75 almost everyday with no trouble at all. the ride is really nice for a jeep.

With your tire size gear ratio combination how long does it take to get to 75 lol:D

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
These are toys, mpg shouldn't really matter. That being said, on my last trip back from Moab while towing my loaded up 3x5 tire trailer with 3.73's and 31's I was averaging just over 17mpg. That was driving 70-75 all the way home. With the 33's on and going 50 down Potash Road, it was like 18mpg. Can't remember what stock mpg was like, that was over 9 years ago. I will be running 4.10's soon, so should be a great compromise between 31's on the street and 33's on the trail.

this coming from the guy who screened potential jeep rescuers by tow rig fuel economy lol

Mope

Thanks so far to everyones replies! I've driven a couple, and really like them. I think I would like one that was allready modified. It could potentially save lots of money and down time. It sounds like you all get respectable mileage considering what it is, and what is done to them.