5.0 to 4.6 swap

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
have an 88 f250, 5.0, 5spd.
found a 95 vicky police car 4.6 AT

Am buying the complete system for 250, motor, harness, ECM, exhaust.

Feasibility of this swap?

Have read that mounts will be impossible unless I go custom, bolt patterns are the same, not the same.............

Looking for more input.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Is that a worthwhile swap? I'd just move up to the 460 or redo the 5.0L (depending on what you're going for). If I were going to do that much work, I'd want to get something out of it.

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
thoughts were 210 horsepower out of the box, smaller displacement and more power equals efficiency, more efficiency equals better overall mpg and increased power.

I am getting 12mpg out of the 302 now, and is okay powerful enuff, figured I would have less than $500 in the swap, and would gain, 40-50 horse.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
breederwheeler said:
thoughts were 210 horsepower out of the box, smaller displacement and more power equals efficiency, more efficiency equals better overall mpg and increased power.

I am getting 12mpg out of the 302 now, and is okay powerful enuff, figured I would have less than $500 in the swap, and would gain, 40-50 horse.

Personally, I'd rather have the 5.0L over the 4.6L. I just like the powerband better.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
You'll spend a great deal more swapping to the 4.6 then you will ever make back in milage.
Nothing about the 4.6 is similar to the 5.0....completely different ecm, block, bellhousing pattern, everything!!....Also it is an obd2 system....
There is stuff out there for the 4.6, but not much, and it is $$$$.
With the wieght of the truck, I don't think it would have the power you want....Stock trucks with the 5.2 (big brother of the 4.6) are a little low on power IMHO....
Stick with the 5.0, good rebuild, open air intake, chip, etc, you can get some better milage from it.