5.3 oil pan

CSR

Is there an oil pan for the 5.3 that doesn't stick down as far as the stock one? If you swap a shallower pan in, do you have to replace the oil pickup with a shorter unit as well? Also, if you do this (assuming you can), does it lead to oil starvation problems on steep inclines? Any info would be appreciated.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I put the camaro pan on my 6.0

Be aware that the camaro oil filter threads are larger than the truck's threads (AKA, different oil filter). :-\
You can remove the threaded insert from the truck pan and thread it into the camaro pan though. That allows you to run the stock truck oil filter.

Also, you'll need to get the dipstick and dipstick tube from the camaro.

If you're worried about oil starvation, get the kevco pan as Carl mentioned, or buy this fitting from Wide Open Designs http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10252972#post10252972 and run an accumulator.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
A buddy of mine is running a F Body pan, with 'Kevco' type inners... I can't remember for the life of me the name of the company that makes the insert, but it just fits right in the bottom of the pan.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
A buddy of mine is running a F Body pan, with 'Kevco' type inners... I can't remember for the life of me the name of the company that makes the insert, but it just fits right in the bottom of the pan.

That does us absolutley no good wayne:rolleyes:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
My friend in New Mexico used the Corvette pan for his YJ, had a friend cut the driver side wing off and weld it back up to make room for the driveline. I can't find a pic of it but it worked.

jpndave

The baffles and doors are a good idea. I have links and pictures of this somewhere. I'll try and find them to post. I haven't done that part yet to my oil pan.

Novak has the "F body" pans, pickups, and scraper/baffles in stock for the same (or maybe a little less) than buying from the dealer. They are a lot higher, basically the same height as the bottom of the transmission. I have one on my JK and we have put them on numerous other rigs. The truck pans are rock magnets and will empty the oil in seconds if hit properly.

Last edited:

Bob B

I have the truck 5.3l in my jeep, but before I put it in I swapped on a f-body aluminum pan. To do it you need to change the pan, pick-up, dipstick, and windage tray. Should cost you about 260ish from gmperformance.com. But before I ever even started it I swapped out that pan for a kevko steel pan. Reasons being, The kevko pan is a little shallower than the f-body pan, its steel, it has baffles and doors, and it has a remote oil filter outlet so plumbing it for an accumulator would be cake. I paid 350 shipped to my door for the pan w/ pickup and dipstick. I got the remote oil filter from a friend, but I think they are only 40 bucks?
heres a pic of mine installed, it's the second pic down

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=60811&page=5&highlight=project:+bush+baby