60 steering help

ALF

SURE!?
Just swapped in a 60 and crossover into my 76 K5. turns lock to lock well but seems really sensative and wanders on the road. The steering box i used was out of a salvage yard is it bad? Watching the box while the wheel gets turned doesn't show any delay and there doesn't seems to be any slop.

I checked toe in and seems to be about 1/4" wider on the backside of the tires as opposed to the front.

I reused the degree shims that were under the leafs while the 44 was in and the fat side is to the front and caster seems to be positive.

What am i missing? Would an alignment shop fix these issues or just check it and tell me what wrong after handing me a bill?

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I have a degree finder if you want to check your caster. I have noticed my 60 not having the best road manners as well.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Toe in seems a bit much, depending on your tire diameter.

Your shims should probly be fat side to the rear. I'd ditch em first, and see if that helps. Then maybe install them so as to roll the pinion up if ditching them doesn't help a ton.

cheepin

how much lift?You shouldn't need a degree shim for a smaller lift.And I would think the fatside needs to be at the back of the axle.With the fat side in front you are loseing caster.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Toe in IS a bit much, but not excessively so. Should be a hair less, like 3/16". :D Stock spec is like 1/8" if I remember. Bigger tires = more toe-in, so I don't think that's radical.

Mine truck also wanders all over, but I have no shims-- just the crossover. I have no stabilizer on there yet, which is the issue, combined with the newly sensitive crossover.
Ditch the shims.

I want to say stock caster is... 6*, back? I will take a look at mine for you tomorrow if you don't have a good answer by then. I would guess that the shims are not helping your situation one bit though. A couple degrees difference in caster is a big deal.