7 trails in 5 days, too much for our first time to Moab?

XJ Jay

Easy now guys, let's not turn this into a pissing match, I'm here too seak advice on trail selection for my some what diverse group of rigs, not hear your bench racing stories.

DaveB your update on RGH was exactly what I needed and confirms what was said on trial damage. We have no intentions of wheeling for 6 hours a day and pissing away the rest of the day at the bar, there will be no sleeping in till noon and parting till 3am.

I have no desire to do Pritchett on our first trip to Moab, like wise with Golden Spike, I've decided to make Gold Bar optional if we finish one of the trails early, I get it, it make sense to do all 3, will save it for next year, we would like to familiarize our selfs with the area and trails before we tackle the hardest trails offered in Moab. Most of us have pushed are rigs far, but I don't think any of us have really seen what our rigs are capabil of, so this will also be a learning experience for us as well.

I'm going over the Charles Wells book again for like the thousands time, looking into Moab Rim and the other difficult trails.

I guess I'll post our rig list

Locked Xj, geared, 33s long arms
Sammi, locked up on 33s with a big block(Zuki 1.6 swap)
Tj rubi, long arms and 35s
JKU, armed, dynatrac front on 35s
Locked up H1, crazy hand built sliders, other wise stock susp.

sixstringsteve

Moab is magical. No matter which trail you go on, you're going to love it. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but golden spike is no more difficult than poison spider, gold bar rim, or steelbender.

Have a blast, it's going to be an unforgettable trip.

Last edited:

XJ Jay

[video=youtube;eiVATcQ9ofU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiVATcQ9ofU&feature=relmfu[/video]
[video=youtube;afl0GD1dugU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afl0GD1dugU[/video]

well if they can, so can we, i think were gonna add Golden Spike to the list, will do Steel Bender the day befor and make it an early night so we can be up early to hit the trail! Should be fun, wish us luck

Samersen

Have a blast down there! I have wheeled with an H1 down there and with some careful spotting he can make it through tight spots. Hells Revenge still remains to be one of my favorite trails. Along with metal masher and Kane Creek. Metal Masher can be done by all in your group we took a stock 4dr Sahara on it with no damage except the skid plates got used. What part of Canada are you from? I lived in the Edmonton area for a while.

XJ Jay

Have a blast down there! I have wheeled with an H1 down there and with some careful spotting he can make it through tight spots. Hells Revenge still remains to be one of my favorite trails. Along with metal masher and Kane Creek. Metal Masher can be done by all in your group we took a stock 4dr Sahara on it with no damage except the skid plates got used. What part of Canada are you from? I lived in the Edmonton area for a while.

Were from Winnipeg Mb. 95 more days

Houndoc

It sounds like I'm the exception. I get burnt out from too much wheeling in too much time. I like to shake it up with hikes and scenic drives/swimming, etc. That would be way too much for me, but it's always easier to slim down your list of trails as you get there. Play it by ear. If you're getting burnt out, cut back a bit. If you can't get enough, keep on going to the next trail.

I tend to agree. There is a lot to do in Moab besides wheeling. Mix some of the other activities in as well to really enjoy all that the area has.

RogueJeepr

Here!
What ive learned from my first time going to Moab is : Its not all about the rockcrawling. The senic stuff is fun also . Bombing down a smooth red dirt road at 50mph to go see Secret Spire can be a blast.

!st trip Mothers day weekend 2011. On the drive there we stopped at Crystal Guyser . Day1: Fins and things then went over to Kane creek but ran outta daylight and turned around ( I was burnt out anyway).
Day 2: Went to Gemini Bridges and from there over to Mineral Bottom down to the river. ( I thought we were way out there but it turned out to be only 11 miles) then to Potash road to check out the pictographs and enjoyed the shade near the river. back to the hotel for hot-tub time.
Day 3: packed up , got some gas with the PorkChop parked next to me and some huge 6x6 fueling up also. Started the long trip home to salt lake. (well it is when ya have 4-cylinders)
hope this might help ya gauge your trip.

1982cj7

We are heading down today for 2 weeks, I did not read all of your thread but for scenic and challenge that it sounds like your rigs can handle is Moab Rim, if you just run up to the top it is only a few hours and you get to see all of Moab. There are also pictographs on top and some sand to play in. Hells Revenge is my fav trail. Cliff hanger is a challenge and very scenic, your rigs should be able to handle it. The first time we went the Hummer convention was in town and they ran almost all of the trails we ran. .