73' J2000 Transfer case linkage

Quindog

I just picked up a j2000 with an AMC360, TH400, and Dana 20 Transfer case. The linkage going to the transfer case is screwed up, it is the remote style "J" shift linkage. Does anyone know how to work on these, or what to look at when i take it apart?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
It's been a while, but I remember that linkage being pretty simple. The J-shift feature is all at the lever. The linkage is just a rod that goes to the case, and as it pulls or pushes, moves a shift fork in the case.

What is screwed up? As in, what problems are you experiencing?

Quindog

There is a box directly below the lever, and when i move the shifter around it feels like it is not hooked up to anything. I probably will just do the twin sticks.

flexyfool

GDW
You can install it in the vehicle. You may or may not get 2WD front though. If the Jeep J shift is like the Bronco J shift, then the "pill" will not be in the case, and you get 2WD front without having to completely disassemble the case and remove the pill. If the pill is there, you have to shift the rear into gear before the front.

Quindog

I've been looking around on the internet. It looks like the fsj dana 20's dont have the "pill". Thanks for the help ill be ordering the twin sticks soon.