8" lift for the xj

utahxj

"Quit job & go wheel'n"
My wife and I want to put and 8" lift on the xj and possibly 35's. We are looking at Skyjacker, RE, Rusty's, and Rock Krawler. Any suggestions? I've had positive and negative feedback about each company so I'm not sure which direction we want to go yet! Are there a few of you out there that are running an 8" kit on your xj and what can you tell me about them?

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
I am running a 8"long arm on my Cherokee, i am using Skyjacker coils and i love the ride, I just wish i had better leaf packs. I fabricated my long arms and my crosmember my self,and it looks pretty close to the Rustys kit.

if i were to do it again i would run the Rustys kit.

utahxj

"Quit job & go wheel'n"
Limegrnxj, are you running 33's or 35's? Did you upgrade your axles? I really like the Rusty's kit but I've been told that their stuff doesn't hold up! If I'm not mistaken I believe their kit is a complete bolt on, and some people are weary about that. I'll have to do as rckcrlr suggested and search for past discussions on this topic.

95jeepgrndchke

I have read alot of negative things about the RockKrawler lift both the quality and getting it shipped takes awhile. I was looking into thier 7" for my ZJ but changed my mind after all the comments I heard on other forums.

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
Right now I am running 33's. I am hoping to get 35' soon. I changed out my rear axel for a 44 with 4.11's and a spool when I did my lift, and I put a lockright and matching gears in the front at the same time. the rustys kit is completely bolt on and that is how I did mine, I personally don’t like welding stuff to the frames of my cars especially a unibody that will get totaled with the slightest hit, so I can unbolt my stuff on put it on a new body if needs be. but thats just me.

I like rockkrawlers design but i dont think i would run there kit.

have you checked claytons offroad?

Ben

Creasey
my buddy is running the rockkrawler 8 inch he cant belevie how good the ride is and also how flex it is. Or the new super 8 which replaces the rear with coilovers

utahxj

"Quit job & go wheel'n"
limegrnxj, do you have plenty of room for the 35's? Have you done any trimming? I'm running an 8.25 in the rear and a d30 up front. I figure I'll upgrade when I break something...which might be quick if I get the 8" with 35's. Are the d44's from the older jeep wagoners direct bolt on or do you have to cut-to-fit? Hey Ben, get your buddy online, I have some questions about his kit.

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
My bro has a 99 xj... He has a Teraflex Coil Conversion in the rear which gave him about 8.5 inches... He is using TJ coils in the rear and has XJ coils up front. He did the 6" Teraflex Lift and 2" spacers... He did the long arm kit on it as well... My brother didn't want to ruin the body because it is a good lookin cherokee, but he has trimmed the fenders a bit, he is not running flares and is going to have Rocklogic build some tubes which connect to ARB bull bar and rock sliders and rear tire carrier...

He can run 35's on the street, but he rubs like crazy on his control arms or whatever (i don't know) and he would mash his fenders in if he flexed out. He runs 33's when he goes wheeling just so he can have that extra room to flex and articulate. But also the Skyjacker and those other companies will probably clear 35's easier, I don't know.

He has one of the smoothest rides in his cherokee. It handles well and he has had only 1 problem to date... He had Rubicon Express 6" lift TJ coils in the rear and they started sagging, so he put in Teraflex 6" lift TJ coils in the rear instead. He keeps the rear sway bars connected all the time, but drives on the street with the front ones off.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'll endorse the RE kit. Get the 5.5" and cut for 35". WayneXJ and myself run an RE kit and both of us run 35" MT/R's. The only thing bad I have to say about the RE kit is their disconnects SUCK......

I run a modified 4.5" kit with spacers and reconfigged axle brackets while he runs a 5.5" kit with the RE drop brackets.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Ben
my buddy is running the rockkrawler 8 inch he cant belevie how good the ride is and also how flex it is. Or the new super 8 which replaces the rear with coilovers

are you a dealer for RK? I'm just curious because I've never seen you post something that didn't have to do with them.

Cody

Caleb

Originally posted by GroceryGetter

are you a dealer for RK? I'm just curious because I've never seen you post something that didn't have to do with them.

Cody

My thought too, but after a little searching I noticed he's only 16 so that is prolly the only lift he has any first hand knowledge of...

utahxjer

I have Rusty's stuff and Rockkrawler's as well. I would buy that 8" Rockkrawler kit pretty complete. Or hold off a few months for the RE long arm kit.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I would run Clayton, Kevin or RE's front kit, and some nice custom rear packs. 8" SJ coils, JKS discos, JKS tracbar, Bilsteins.

That would be nice.

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
Originally posted by supergper

My thought too, but after a little searching I noticed he's only 16 so that is prolly the only lift he has any first hand knowledge of...

yeah, every time some one starts bad mouthing rockkrawler he gets all upset, and send's the author a pm, like he has some seceret information

lol

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
Originally posted by mbryson
I'll endorse the RE kit. Get the 5.5" and cut for 35". WayneXJ and myself run an RE kit and both of us run 35" MT/R's. The only thing bad I have to say about the RE kit is their disconnects SUCK......

My disconnects are easy to put back on now that they're finally broken in. It only took 2 years . :D