'80 CJ with YJ frame/tub and MB grille

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Cliff notes: YJ frame/tub/MB grille. TBI350/700r4/D300 (4:1) locked Chev 60/14 bolt 4.56 gears--$18,000

Time to sell my 9 year project due to some health issues (knee issues). YJ frame, tub. TBI 350, 700r4, Dana 300, Chev 60 front with E-locker/14 bolt Detroit rear and 4.56 gears. Details below. XJ leaf spring suspension. 100” wheelbase on 38” MTR Kevlars and H2 wheels. The thing wheels extremely well and has performed way above my expectations of a leaf sprung trail rig. Can handle any Jeep Safari trails with ease and is fun on most of the BFE trails.

IMG_9350%20%28Small%29.JPG

IMG_9425%20%28Small%29.JPG

(pics are on 40” tires—has NEW 38” tires as above)

Titled/tagged as 1980 CJ7 but all the original CJ parts are now gone.
’89 TBI 350 and 700r4 pulled from ’89 Suburban. Used the Suburban GM wiring harness in the Jeep tub with Suburban steering column. TBI 350 runs well but smokes a little on startup. It’s been super reliable for me so I haven’t worried about it. D300 has Tera HD rear output and Tera 4:1 gears. Twin sticks and Novak 27 spline input and adapter.

Front GM Dana 60 out of ‘80s pickup. 4.56 gears with Eaton E-locker. (not the limited slip/locker, it’s the open diff or locked type E-locker—similar to ARB or Ox but electric). Highsteer with 1.25” .281 wall DOM draglink and sleeved 1.25” .281 tie rod. RockStomper H1 steering arms, BTF weld together diff cover, RockLogic hydro assist with ported YJ box. 35 spline Mt. Logan drive slugs and Yukon alloy 35 spline outers with stock inners.
14 bolt-Stock 14 bolt with 4.56 gears and Detroit. Have shaved the lip off the bottom of the diff and been pretty happy with that.

Bestop Softtop and upper soft doors are about four years old. Softtop had a little mishap in St. George UT and has some stitch repairs on rear most upper drivers corner. Repair isn’t noticeable to me and top is still 100% functional.

Has MB front grille, custom fenders and narrowed YJ hood. Also have YJ grille and hood that could come with the rig. Has quarter panel armor with rear flares. Gas tank is pulled up through the floor in about the stock location (see H8Monday’s build for reference) and Jeep is four passenger. Bedlinered interior (Durabak brand). Has provisions for TJ flares to cover tires (included flares) according to UT law. TMax 9000 winch with extra cable. Frame is 24.5” from the ground. Have Teraflex “belly up” skid
Have spare front shafts (stock inners, 35 spline outer), XJ springs and spare drivelines that would go with the rig.

Willing to trade for or towards a decent pickup or tow pig SUV, niceish daily driver SUV for my woman, motorhome in serviceable shape? (not your dad's 1986 unit that's been sitting unused for the past 7 years) or possibly a built LJ/TJ. Definitely prefer an automatic trans in the Jeeps.

Sorry about the long winded post, but I’d prefer someone know EXACTLY what they are getting if they are throwing cash at a rig.

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
When this sells we can go jk shopping together. I hope it doesnt sell though because it is awesome.

Bart

You've done a great job building it and good luck with the sale. You'll regret it but you already know that.:greg:

mbryson

Supporting Member
Damn.... I just bought a WK, but I'd really like this.... See if I can convince the wife.
What's the width to the outside of the tires?

I'm not EXACTLY sure, but my trailer width is 83" between the fenders and there is very limited clearance while pulling on. I'd give a best guess that it's 82" for a front track width.

That answers my question... My trailer is also 83" between rails, and my current '80 CJ7 doesn't fit. It's right around 86" track.
Going to try and convince my wife that buying this will be cheaper than finishing mine... We'll see ;)

Caleb

That answers my question... My trailer is also 83" between rails, and my current '80 CJ7 doesn't fit. It's right around 86" track.
Going to try and convince my wife that buying this will be cheaper than finishing mine... We'll see ;)

That's a no brainer. Buying a ready-to-run rig is always cheaper than finishing your current rig :D

mbryson

Supporting Member
Trans swap should be completed on Sat. Just waiting on a couple of parts to show up. I had a lot of interest early on, but negotiations have slowed to a crawl lately. If you're interested, post up before I start linking this thing up to make it lower. :D