96 XJ New Born

thenag

I am going to get into painting this summer, I haven't decided what to do with our XJ (if anything)

But I have been thinking about painting it like a new "Trail hawk Cherokee"
I don't know if Red Tow Points would look good (as opposed the trail hawk hooks) but other than that it is just a unique color with black around the bottom and and a decal on the hood (and would pick up the "trail hawk" emblem from Chrysler)
01-2014-jeep-cherokee-trailhawk-ny-550x365.jpg
02-2014-jeep-cherokee-trailhawk-ny-550x365.jpg

Nathan
build thread
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?83436-Nathan-and-Tanja-s-99-XJ-Build-up

Zerkalo

Ok, I used the cut and fold method on my XJ, running without flares.

But during last wheeling trip, apparently, I cut the both front tire during a "flex testing exercise"

Did this happened to you guys, and how do you remedy this?

Greanbeans

There are easier ways to take your doors off. And the door jam thing you were pushing on only completes a ground to the bulb to turn it on. And the rear doors the plugs are behind the plastic at the bottom of the b pillar

Zerkalo

Just finished 3" lift in the front.
What I used:
4 JK rubicon shocks,
2" EMU coil springs.
2x 5/8 coil spacers.

I test drive to the grorcery store, feel JK shocks rides nice and soft.

Removing Rear leaf spring is a royal pain in the ass!!!

pic: 3" front, 0" in the rear.
IMG_0754_zps85cdccc1.jpgIMG_0755_zps1e02539b.jpg

Question:
I'm on 235s but since I trimmed fender, will 31s look too small still?

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Went for a long trail, during which apparently it overheated to 235F, because my aux wasn't turning on. Here is what happened on trail: at certain point the XJ starts to choking gas, as if there wasn't enough, so 2 times, I floored the gas and it ran normal for a while, until it started to choke again and eventually flooring gas pedal won't do anything. Then I check my temp with the OBDII thing (cuz my gauge isn't working), it was 235F, warm for sure. But then I also pulled a new code results in check engine P0171 System too Lean.

Read some threads, people say it could be O2 sensor, but also it could be a whole lot of other things. I don't wanna dump money for the wrong parts. so from the sympotom above what list of things do you think I should check?

PS: I have no clue what's the normal vacuum pressure. It seems like everything is talking about 14.7 or something but why is mine always displayed as negative something. I attached a screenshot of the OBDII app below. Any help is appreciated.

IMG_0810.PNG

STAG

On my grind
Sounds like vapor lock to me. The temps under your hood got so hot that it boiled the gas in your fuel line and your motor sucked the air out of the line. It happens. Bleed your fuel system and you should be good.

STAG

On my grind
The boost/vacuum is negative because your motor is creating 10.2 lbs of vacuum. (Motors create vacuum!) if it was supercharged or turbocharged that number would be positive, (forced induction).

The 14.7 number you are referring to is the optimum air/fuel ratio (or AFR) Meaning for every 14.7 parts air, you have 1 part fuel. This ratio will burn all the fuel efficiently with no extra fuel (in a healthy motor)

Obviously when you are trying to make your engine have more power (ie. you floor the gas pedal) you are going to give your motor more fuel and your ratio may go down to ~11:1 (running rich) and if you get into ~16:1+ (running lean) that's too lean.

so your app that says -10.2 means how many psi of air your motor is creating vacuum, nothing to do with your lean fuel issue.

Last edited:

Zerkalo

The boost/vacuum is negative because your motor is creating 10.2 lbs of vacuum. (Motors create vacuum!) if it was supercharged or turbocharged that number would be positive, (forced induction).

The 14.7 number you are referring to is the optimum air/fuel ratio (or AFR) Meaning for every 14.7 parts air, you have 1 part fuel. This ratio will burn all the fuel efficiently with no extra fuel (in a healthy motor)

Obviously when you are trying to make your engine have more power (ie. you floor the gas pedal) you are going to give your motor more fuel and your ratio may go down to ~11:1 (running rich) and if you get into ~16:1+ (running lean) that's too lean.

so your app that says -10.2 means how many psi of air your motor is creating vacuum, nothing to do with your lean fuel issue.

Thanks a lot. That was very informative. so is -10.2 normal?