A.F. Canyon Still closed...sigh

Ford Prefect

Hello all

Well, my wife wanted a picknick up AF canyon, so off we went. I figured that would be a great time to head up the trail to (what I believe is called) forest lake road. It is the one that you turn right and immediately cross the river, head up a ways and there is a nice lake at the end. Anyhow, got to the damn and what do you know, the darn gates are still closed...

Oh well, we had a nice hike in the canyon just the same, but it would have been nice to get onto the trail.

Any ideas when it opens again?

Brian

strangeKowboy

Oops i did it again
Talked to forest service on thur and they said they were sending up heavy equipment this coming week to clear boulders that have fallen on the road up there thru the winter. I guess there is still alot of snow but they plan on trying to clear the roads aways up and hopefully the weather will let it dry up a little. They said they are hoping it will be open for memorial but dont cross the fingers. Theres alot of snow up there

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'm not sure if the gates made it in last fall or not, but they were planning to install gates on the side canyons, to keep people out during the shoulder seasons. I don't think they got to them this past year, we'll see if they do in the future?

I know the we all want to get up there and play, but 75% of the damage up there each year happens during the first couple weeks the canyons open. New illegal bypasses and short trails built to get around impassible snow and fences seem to get wiped out by machines sliding into them. We tried to re-route the the Forest Lake trail to prevent this, we'll see how it works. Lets try and be as low impact as possible until the ground dries out up there.

I know the we all want to get up there and play, but 75% of the damage up there each year happens during the first couple weeks the canyons open. New illegal bypasses and short trails built to get around impassible snow and fences seem to get wiped out by machines sliding into them. We tried to re-route the the Forest Lake trail to prevent this, we'll see how it works. Lets try and be as low impact as possible until the ground dries out up there.

x2!

Ford Prefect

Thanks StrangeKowboy, good to know.

Kurt, I fully agree with your assessment.

Can you tell us what the change is on the forest lake road?

Brian

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Thanks StrangeKowboy, good to know.

Kurt, I fully agree with your assessment.

Can you tell us what the change is on the forest lake road?

Brian

The trail was moved from it original alignment in the "meadow" area higher into the trees, actually where the bypass was being created each spring. Users either took the bypass or tried to plow through the snow, often taking out the fence with it. We rebuilt the old buck/pole fence a half dozen times, finally our last one was with buried poles. Many member of local clubs including countless members of RME helped build all those fences.