a serious discussion: I want to run the Rubicon

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
OK, who is in for a Rubicon trip this September? I'm thinking September 5-8th.

I can't commit yet, but you've got my attention. From what I've read and seen, I'm pretty sure that my rig could do it right now, especially if I got some kind of belly skid in play. I'd be sure to add better recovery points in front, and then I think I'd be set.

I just don't know what I'd do for tires, though...

sixstringsteve

I just don't know what I'd do for tires, though...

didn't you win the BFG tires @ the BBQ? Sell the coupon to Davy of AllJeep and buy some brand new 33's with the money. :D Actually, you could complete the trail with your current tires. Is your rig locked front and rear? Sliders? Front and rear bumpers?

The rubicon is about twice as hard as the last trail that we completed. I think you'll want to run a few trails before the rubicon to make sure you know your rig like you need to. I'll need a few more trips under my belt (hanging tree anyone?) as well before then.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
didn't you win the BFG tires @ the BBQ?

Yes, I was being silly. ;)

The Runner is locked up with rails and bumpers, I'm sure a skilled driver to take it through the Rubi with ease. I'm not convinced I could do it without suffering from several coronaries, though. Taller tires, a belly skid, and several runs through Constrictor would ease my mind considerably :D, but I'd still probably be a liability.

You guys have fun, take lots of video. I've still got lots of Utah left to explore.