General Tech AC compressor into air tank

jswainthug

I have heard of people turning there ac compressors into compressed air on the trail. How is this done? What size of holding tank? How well does it work?

STAG

On my grind
You need to install an inline oiler between the incoming "fresh" air, and your air compressor.. it's actually quite complicated... but works okay. If I were you I'd just recommend a 12v air pump and tank. It's a lot less headache.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
did it on my mine using a 2.5 airtank bought off ebay, and a harbor freight oiler ETC. think i had a total of 125.00 in it. i'll try to find some pics/tech.

Rock Hound!

ROK JNKY
I would recommend running a York compressor set up. Depending on your set up though, you can find the compressors online or the junk yard. Kilby www.kilbyenterprises.com sells several different brackets for different engines. I built mine and have just over $100 in it.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
found some
IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
The PO of my old '85 4runner had converted the OE a/c comp to run air into a 5 gal tank in the back of the truck. I loved that setup. I had air chucks both under the hood and in the rear by the tank. He ahd also installed a small lever on the dashboard to raise the rpm' sof the engine to around 2500 IIRC. I never did run air tools off of it, but I filled up a lot of large tires. It'd fill my 38's or 37's in no time.