add a leaf questions?

str8axleguy

Hey I just bought a samurai with add a leafs on it and doing a spring over in a couple months. When I do the spring over I will likely take the add a leafs out, don't need the extra lift. They make the sami ride like crap and was wondering if I should take em out, or flip em upside down. I have seen pics of toyotas and suzukis with the add a leaf running ends down and was wondering why this is done, or should I just yank em out? Thanks

Mope

I'd just yank them out. They ride harsh enough as it is. I took the overloads off of mine that were turned upside, down. I like it better. Its also one less thing to snag on stuff. If you find your spring rate is too soft, you can just piece together a custom pack to your likings. I bought an unkown cheap pair of springs, and between them and my springs made 4 custom packs that work good. Took a few times to get them where i liked, but all is well now.

Good luck

str8axleguy

Hey thanks for the heads up, I though I should yank em but didn't know if there was something I didn't know. I will have to take some pictures and post in the next day or so.

GONZO

I had an 88 sami that was sprung over with the stock springs, it seemed to ride ok (still a little harsh). I wheeled with a guy that swapped in stock YJ springs and his seemed to ride and flex better.

str8axleguy

I thought about going with the yj springs but I didn't want to end up with that much lift, I think you can run 33's with that lift and I don't want it that tall for street driving. Anyone know if you can use yj springs and only get 4 to 5 inches of lift? Enough to run 31's

OREGON85

from OREGON
This might be a dumb question, but I don't see how add a leafs would lift a spring under rig. Aren't add a leaf sort of the same principle as blocks, just not so bad on axle wrap?

str8axleguy

They lift even under the axle by adding arch and stiffness to the springs. I measured before I took them off and after and it dropped almost two inches by taking the add a leafs out completely. Thanks for the advice it rides much better know. I had to buy new rear shocks as the ones in it were way too long, they would bottom just by bouncing on the bumper. Does anyone on here want some add a leafs out of a sami and some longer shocks? I have dual leafs from the back and singles from the front.

str8axleguy

Pics of my baby samurai

It is pretty much stock, has a K&N and a new flowmaster exhaust, had to have new exhaust for inspection. It also had a Polaris winch on the front bumper but I cut if off, ugly fab.

Attachments

• sami 001.jpg
    sami 001.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 2
  • sami 002.jpg
    sami 002.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 1
  • sami 003.jpg
    sami 003.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 0

str8axleguy

1 more pic

I think it will be a fun build I just need to save up some money I want to put the lift and the t-case gears in at the same time. I am thinking of running the bushwacker jeep flares on it too. It has a sweet dent in the drivers flare and most the rest are messed up too. Probably gonna run 31 x 12.5 SSR's on it.

Attachments

• sami 004.jpg
    sami 004.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 0

Mope

It looks like it is in good shape! It's a good place to start. You'll know just exactly what you've got when your done. The tires your talking about will look good on it. What t-case gears are you going to end up going with?

str8axleguy

4.9 from trail tough. I think the 6.5 are too low and the last sami I had used the 4.16 and it wasn't low enough. It did have 31" boggers on it, weber, header, exhaust. This one still runs better and passed inspection the first time, my 86 took about 5 tries to get through emissions. Have you dealt with low range offroad? I just found out they are in Provo and it would be nice not to have to pay shipping on all the parts, plus having someone local that can help is nice too. I have heard good things about SKY's parts and their spoa uses mostly SKY parts, looks like a good kit. Any thoughts?

Mope

I have dealt with Low range offroad, and would surely do it again. Sean is a good guy to talk to, and will take time to answer questions you have. I'd for sure deal through him. As you noticed, he does carry a lot of stuff from different vendors, so you have a good selection.

Now that you mention it, I think I remember your other thread where you decided on the 4.9's. I think they are a good choice.

str8axleguy

Awesome good to know they are good to work with. They looked to carry pretty much everything you would need and seemed to have fair prices.