Advanced winch recovery techniques

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
[video=youtube;_4tI3HtgdCY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4tI3HtgdCY[/video]

I am having a difficult time with this. Even after seeing it done, I still don't believe/understand. My issue is with the first snatch block location. He doesn't do a very good job of explaining block locations in the video. It seems as if the first block is located at about 2oclock from the front of the jeep? If this is the case, then the distance between the front of the jeep and block 1 would have to increase as the jeep rolls back.. Which means the line would have to get longer between jeep and block 1. Which would require the line to go out from the jeep, yeah?? So in my brain, the position of block 1 would have to be past 3oclock, say like the 5oclock position.. And once you reach 3oclock you stop, as the rope would again would have to start getting longer...

please set me straight.
-Brian

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Additional issues.. The rope at the back of the jeep is pulling twice as hard he says, as it is looped. This also means it is traveling half as fast, yeah? Which would mean the front is trying to close the gap between block 1 twice as fast as the rear gap. I am soooo confused.

there is also a ton of popping and jumping happening to his jeep, especially for a flat roll back.. Why is this??

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Ha! I got it figured out!! The rope between block 2 and 3 is changing length at an equal speed to the rope between winch and block 1. The jeep is part of a loop consisting of the jeep, block 1, block 2, and back to the jeep. That loop is always the same length and could be circled/rolled around freely ( provided the jeep fit through the snatch blocks) the rope between jeep and winch hook changes length independently, pulling the jeep back.

Maybe I didn't explain that well.. But it makes sense in my brain that way at least at 12:30 am.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Near as I can tell, what he's doing works because he's stretching his winch line. He's effectively got two setups - one from the back of the Jeep to the tree, and another from the front of the Jeep to the back of the Jeep. When he starts winching, the second line is exerting equal force on the front and the back of the Jeep, and the first line is pulling the Jeep backwards because it isn't connected to the Jeep like the first one.

That's the best I can figure out, anyway. I don't think it would work with a winch line that didn't have some stretch in it, and I don't think you'd get very far with one pull.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Near as I can tell, what he's doing works because he's stretching his winch line. He's effectively got two setups - one from the back of the Jeep to the tree, and another from the front of the Jeep to the back of the Jeep. When he starts winching, the second line is exerting equal force on the front and the back of the Jeep, and the first line is pulling the Jeep backwards because it isn't connected to the Jeep like the first one.

That's the best I can figure out, anyway. I don't think it would work with a winch line that didn't have some stretch in it, and I don't think you'd get very far with one pull.

This was along my same thinking originally.. But I think it's not correct. There is an additional video I found that helped it click for me. When I get to a real computer I will post it.
Got it..
[video=youtube_share;9TF0u_M7a7o]http://youtu.be/9TF0u_M7a7o[/video]

Kevin B.

Big hippy
This was along my same thinking originally.. But I think it's not correct. There is an additional video I found that helped it click for me. When I get to a real computer I will post it.
Got it..
[video=youtube_share;9TF0u_M7a7o]http://youtu.be/9TF0u_M7a7o[/video]

Yeah, I think that's I tried to say, but did it poorly. I still think it's the stretch of the line that makes it work - you're pulling in both directions, just pulling harder in the rear direction.

Rock Taco

If you ever find your car submersed in a frozen lake.

I wonder how many pounds that winch is rated at?

[video=youtube;MK6419y4N4Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK6419y4N4Q#t=14[/video]

sixstringsteve

genius recovery! That would be scary to be in when it went down. And I wonder how they got the wire attached to the bumper.

For sale: Honda CRV like new.

STAG

On my grind
Maybe not the right thread for this, but still an interesting watch.

[video=youtube_share;f8trkgFX6wI]http://youtu.be/f8trkgFX6wI[/video]

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
^^ Fun video, for sure, but it's all one giant photoshop--I thought it was impossible for any Toyota to get stuck (let alone two).

;)

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
A thought on my mind..

In a self recovery situation, where your vehicle cannot run (tipped on side, wet engine, etc) you have very limited winching time before your battery will die. Using a snatch block eases line pressure, reducing amp draw on the winch, adding time to the battery, right? It also doubles your time as speed is cut in half.
Is there way to know if it is more battery concious to winch straight line or with a snatch block?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The line speed is cut in half all other things being equal, but the winch will be spooling faster due to the lighter load it sees--so I'd bet the winch-running time would not be doubled. So my vote would be that using a snatch block would let you winch more per battery. :)

Rock Hog

Wrencher
(on previous discussion) Winch line stretch does not play a significant factor that I can tell.

So there are 4 sections of rope. Winch->B1, B1->B2, B2->rear, rear->tree.
x1.jpg
As the Jeep rolls backwards, the distance between W-B1 increases at the same rate as B2-rear decreases (assuming perfect triangle). so while the jeep is rolling backward, the total line length from W_to_B1 + B1_to_B2 + B2_to_rear is the same. To restate, there is no rope collected from this loop. so the place that the winch is taking rope from is the Rear_to_tree length, the rest is about equalibrium. Kinda make sense?