AF Canyon Closure Date??

Ford Prefect

Does anyone know when the AF Canyon Closure Date is going to be??

I just want to keep going up there, but would hate to get all the way there and have it be closed or something silly (especially if I am going in from the back way!)

Thanks all

Brian

Caleb

The only ones that will be able to tell you for sure is the ranger station. Call them up and ask. I wouldn't be surprised if it's closed after this next weekend with the storm we have coming in. I know Butterfield Canyon is now closed and it's lower in elevation than AFC is...granted it's also a private canyon vs. a federally owned and maintained canyon.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
It was open on Sunday. Its hitting that time of year that even if the gates are open, we should use some common sense and stay off the wet trails. Especially forest lake. Forest Lake has some major drainage issues that we are going to try and fix this spring, but until then, its really getting torn up.

jardine

today i was up there and asked the booth if they had any idea and they said it should be open for at least another week or two depending on weather.

Ford Prefect

Well that is kind of cool.

I went out yesterday, and busted a hub, so, until I get that fixed I figure I am fairly home bound (or something I can do in my WJ, which does not include Forest Lake.)

Sucks, now I am going to have to get a new set on there again. I just put a new set of warn hubs on there after EJS. I would not have figured this thing would be breaking so new.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
I've taken my WJ up forest lake many times with no issues. except the one time I was showing off and slid down into the big mud hole and scratched my door. And it only has a 2" with highway tires.

Robert T

Skull Designs Euros
anyone know if you can still get up on timponokee, to the front of timp? I got a elk tag and its a long hike to get to the ones on the provo canyon side.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I was at Forest Lake last night... gate open, trail frozen and slippery. It was fun.:cool:

As long as you have at least one locker and some decent (size and tread) tires, you shouldn't have too much trouble making it. At least until it thaws and becomes a giant messy mud pit.:sick: