AF Canyon Service Project Update

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Mineral Basin work party!! it's a GO this Sat!!

The Mineral Basin Trail/Rockgarden work party is ON FOR THIS SATURDAY SEPT 7 !! It's time to put up or shut up.

Meet at 9am at Tibble Fork Reservoir parking lot.

You need to bring the following:

Work gloves
Hand tools; hammers, sledge hammers, 2lb. small sledge hammers, and BFH's!
Shovels, prybars, small gardening type trowels for planting itty bitty cute little trees
A lunch
Water
Some drinks will be provided, compliments of Kohler's.
Wear appropriate clothes, good chance of rain.

Agenda:
Meet at Tibble Fork at 9am. Bring stuff mentioned above. We will be doing the following: Planting up to 400 Engleman Spruce saplings donated by Snowbird in, on, and around the trail to 1) stop erosion, 2) reclaim devastated areas, 3) stop usage of illegal 'go-arounds' and 'cheater bypass' routes, 4) make the area look nicer. Tree planting will take place near to and above the famed Rock Garden. In addition to the tree planting there will be some buck-n-rail fence building taking place to accomplish the above listed goals. The fencing will also take place in the immediate area surrounding the Rock Garden, and on a spot or two above the Garden on the trail to Mineral Basin. When we meet at Tibble Fork we will want to split into groups to accomplish the various tasks. Due to the limited space to park on the narrow trail plan on CARLPOOLING up with someone else (I'm not even taking my jeep on this trip, just the truck). We need to minimize the rigs at the 'Garden. You can park below the Garden (near Pacific Mine) and walk/ride up from there. I don't want anyone discouraged from coming because of some damn parking restrictions :)

We are working directly with the Forest Service on this one. This is a project of Rocky Mountain Extreme.com and the Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association and local 4 wheeling enthusiasts!!! It will foster relationships with the Forest Service in the future and help keep our trails open, and it may even help them stay difficult the way they are supposed to be. Please come help us....this is going to be a lot of fun!! I highly anticipate being done by 12 or 1pm, so it is completely possible to still have the afternoon to GO WHEELING! There may be some rock moving too.......more to follow. Get you CLUB involved!!!!! We need 200 people there!!

EZ
:)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Just wanted to post a reminder and outline a few things for the Service Project this up coming Saturday.

Directions to AFC-

From I-15, get off at the Thanksgiving Point/Alpine exit, #287. Head East, towards the Mountains and AF Canyon. The road you are on will take you directly to AF Canyon. There is a $3 per carload fee to enter the canyon if you don't have a National Parks or AFC pass, so carpool to save money and space.

To Service Project site-

From the Toll Booth, continue up the canyon, and take the Left Fork at the intersection for the Alpine Loop or Tibblefork Res. From Tibblefork Res, go straight out of the parking lot onto the Dirt Road. Follow the Main Road for about 35 minutes, untill you get to the Fork for Mineral Basin or Midway. Go Left again to Mineral Basin. You soon will pass the Pacific Mine Tailings, from there you are about 2 miles from the Rockgarden area. (Park on the sides of the road so that we can get vehicles hauling the Saplings, up to the Rockgarden.)

Time and Place-

9:00am, Saturday, Sept 7th. Parking will be in the area near the turn off for Pittsburg Lake. From there, walk up to the Rockgarden area, (About 100 yrds). Please don't block the road.

What to bring-

Your friends, Work Gloves, a Garden Trowel, a bucket for hauling water, warm clothes (Possibly with rain gear), enough food and water for the day. Bring your rig and tools to move some rocks!

If there are any questions, please ask them!

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Yes the FS will be there, that is, where the tree planting and fence building will be, namely, in close proximity to the 'Garden. Shawn I need to talk to you, email me will you please? I tried earlier and my mail came back, your server is down or some such crap.

EZ

demon jeep

Banned
One other thing to bring is $3.00 the canyon is a pay to play
area for 3 day pass it is only $3.00 so do not cry it is for a good cause. I have room in my jeep any one from orem to lehi area
let me know if you want a ride I have a pass to the canyon so it would be free for you if you are poor like me.

Ryan

I've mentioned it before, and I'll mention it here. I have 3 or 4 open seats in the 4Runner. I can give anybody a ride from the Lehi area(or I can drive a ways if you want), or just from the Tibble Fork parking lot up to the trail, whatever works.

ALSO-----
I'm sure most people have been there, or will be with someone who has been there, but how about a CB channel so anybody who can get up the canyon a ways will be able to find the right spot? I haven't seen this come up before, so if there isn't a channel already agreed upon, first person to throw out a channel can have thier pick:D

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by Ryan
I've mentioned it before, and I'll mention it here. I have 3 or 4 open seats in the 4Runner. I can give anybody a ride from the Lehi area(or I can drive a ways if you want), or just from the Tibble Fork parking lot up to the trail, whatever works.

I may have to take you up on the Ride.......my Carb died tonight and I have my doubts about getting the EFI on and running by Saturday morning.

allterrain

AllTerrain
OK everyone,

Time to put your money where your jeep is.
Despite the weather we will be meeting at The Tibble Fork Parking lot at 9am and doing some good trail service. Ranger Scott is up there today making arrangements and we may have to be flexible on some of the non-tree planting projects to minimize our impacts if it's muddy.

As an added incentive to get as many of us up there as possible, the FS has just agreed to wave the canyon fee of $3 if you say you are with Alan Taylor and the 4wd group. He wanted my name on it- not my idea.

I hope that will help a little with motivation on a wet, chilly morning. A lot of people have put time into making this happen and gaining the trust of the FS. This could be a model for saving and even enhancing trails in the future all over the state.

Even an hour or 2 will be appreciated. Please do what you can to join us for some good work and good fun.

Thanks,

Alan