AF Single

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Ummm. No never been on the single, know the canyon just not the single track.
I ride a 2014 WR450 and my son is on a 2015 WR250

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Ummm. No never been on the single, know the canyon just not the single track.
I ride a 2014 WR450 and my son is on a 2015 WR250

Somebody got some brand new bikes, good work. Anyway, I've gotta swing into work in the AM for a bit (in Highland), so I'll come ride for a bit with you guys. Look for the little black cargo van. BTW, whats your gear situation like? If there's anything you don't have, I have extra stuff that may work for you or your boy.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
What skill level are you guys at? My BIL and I will be going up also. I'm not sure if we will be going morning or afternoon though..

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
So we hit the AF Single on Saturday and I can honestly say that I was not expecting a ride like we did. That was one of the funnest, exhausting, technical, beautiful and educational trails I/we have ever done. I can't say enough of how much we appreciated Von showing up to guide us around. His knowledge of the trails and the area was most appreciated!! I'm ready to go back, however one of the things I learned, my bike is not set up for that type of single track mountain riding.
Now all I can do is research this really cool looking toy, KTM 300XCW :cool:

Von, THANK YOU!!

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
AFC is amazing singletrack and there is LOTS of it! The night rides we were doing a couple years ago were the best, so much fun!

What do you need out of the WR for more singletrack riding? It's a great bike, but it carries it's weight up high.... but you're a big guy, so you can manage. I bet a Rekluse would really help your riding in the technical stuff, it makes almost any bike a breeze to ride.

Caleb

Shawn, we need to get out and you can try my 501 with a Rekluse. Like Greg said, I bet it would make all the difference in the world. I rode a crf450x (Honda's equivalent to the WR450) and many guys have rode wr450s for many years doing the single track riding. It is different than cruising around on fire roads or even out in the desert so you just need to get it setup for it. Most guys will find a happy medium for the single track and the more open riding and just leave it.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
So we hit the AF Single on Saturday and I can honestly say that I was not expecting a ride like we did. That was one of the funnest, exhausting, technical, beautiful and educational trails I/we have ever done. I can't say enough of how much we appreciated Von showing up to guide us around. His knowledge of the trails and the area was most appreciated!! I'm ready to go back, however one of the things I learned, my bike is not set up for that type of single track mountain riding.
Now all I can do is research this really cool looking toy, KTM 300XCW :cool:

Von, THANK YOU!!

No prob man... For those interested, we went up 040 and everyone was doing great, so we kept on going up the switchbacks. We took 157 around and dropped down to Forest Lake. From there, we took the 4x4 road out and back to Tibble Fork.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
So I have a buddy that tried to sell me on a recluse and I get why they are so cool. But, not using a clutch and shifting gears just seems wrong to me. Before I go back I want to put a lower gear on to make it easier to navigate. I also need to add some bike protection. My son went down hard and really did a number on his radiator so I want to protect those.

It was a great experience and I look forward to doing it again.

sixstringsteve

Honestly, I can't remember. If I ended up dumping my bike in the river (which seemed like every time I crossed it), then most likely.

I need to find a KTM Freeride 250 to borrow/rent and we need to do another evening ride up there.

Tonkaman

So I have a buddy that tried to sell me on a recluse and I get why they are so cool. But, not using a clutch and shifting gears just seems wrong to me. Before I go back I want to put a lower gear on to make it easier to navigate. I also need to add some bike protection. My son went down hard and really did a number on his radiator so I want to protect those.

Gearing is easily going to be the biggest bang for your buck. Get a good skid plate while your getting radiator braces and then some handguards. Those tight trees have been known to smash fingers. The rekluse really makes riding easier because of how smooth the transitions can be. When climbing a tall bumpy obstacle it's really nice not to stall the bike when the back tire comes to a sudden stop at the top. I still use my clutch lever when I shift and to rev up quickly, it's just built into my muscle memory. In fact if I got a left hand brake I'm sure I'd kill myself on accident. One downside to the rekluse is the no easy bump starts. I can't even tell you how much this has bugged me, especially the time I broke a kickstart lever in the middle of Poison Spider! Another strange drawback is that once the bike is off it can still roll. This is particularly cruddy when you stall the bike in a steep hill and the bike just wants to roll away. It's not usually a big deal unless you've found yourself in a sticky situation.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin

I felt the same way, until I rode Caleb's old KTM 300 XC with a Rekluse... the thing is that it allows you to focus on your riding and not have to worry so much about clutching it in super technical stuff. You can also get away with running stock gearing, have a bike that will still haul ass in the desert, but be very capable in rough, slower terrain. I don't know that I'd have a dirt bike w/o a Rekluse anymore, it makes riding so fun.

Derek (Tonkaman) made some great points about the downsides, but I've never had enough of an issue not to consider one.