Air Tubes?? 90 Jeep YJ

tclivin

I have a 90 Jeep YJ with the 258 engine, there are two rubber hoses coming out of the air cleaner they are each connected to a metal bulb? from there on they are metal tubes one goes to the catalytic converter, the other to the top of the exhaust pipe by the manifold. Anyway i noticed they are both completely broken off at the metal bulbs. What are they, and what are they for? I would think something to do with emmissions, Do I need new ones? Thanks

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
That is the pulse air system. It is like a smog pump setup except it uses check valves to suck air into the exhaust instead of pumping it in. To pass smog you probably need it.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I see you live in Toelele. Remove those tubes, seal the holes, and while you are at it get rid of the EGR(fuel will burn in the cylinder so you wont need to burn it in the exhaust pipes). The carb can also be weened of its computer control giving better performance. Even better replace the carberator with a weber or motorcraft.

tclivin

Thanks for the advice, I was hoping that getting rid of them would be an option. I checked around this morning to see what new check valves would cost, nobody has them except for the jeep dealership and they want 50.00 a piece. ouch.