General Tech all purpose rig...

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/search.php?searchid=1236977

One search Can't see LT's ram being it...

Not wanting an Enduro bike.

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/search.php?searchid=1236980

Ahh the T-rex.. not what I have in mind...

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/search.php?searchid=1236985

So.. what do I need to do to my Cent to make sure it is going to be a reliable ride out ride back rig? Deeper thoughts 2will be professed later, have to get off computer now, wife just came home... (get off computer!!!!!!!!!!)

Expounding
Dana 60 Front ('79 model Kingpin 60)
Sterling rear ('90 factory 10.25)
4.10's LSD in rear, aspiring to get front Locked, probably the New Yukon.
NP435
BW1356
7.5l

39.5 - 41" tires.

Are my axles "ala carte"?

Do I need Chromoly's?

Obviously all maintenance needs will be addressed new u joints, bearings, etc.

Am i under "safe breaking point" of a 60 as far as tire size goes, crawl reduction, torque multiplication, etc?

What do I need to address on the drivetrain to make it solid?

Last edited:

Chevycrew

Depends on what you want to do with it.

In my opinion your tire size is overkill for a expedition type rig, but I would start with getting it reliable enough to drive coast to coast, with enough spare parts and fluids to fix any breakage along the way. Then you have a good start.

Look up the build threads for expedition vehicle.

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
Ahh Expedition vehicle.. will try that....

Well, size was due to intentionally eliminating overdrive, and keeping rpms down on freeway. Also shooting for minimal lift along the way. want it to go where I point it.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Tools. Reliable and maintained drivetrain. Spare hubs and stubs. Tire repair kit and pump. Fluids. U-joints for axles and driveshaft.

That thing is big enough that I would guess you won't be killing it out on the trails, and should be alright w/the spec you listed. Your expected level of breakage should be a little less than the guy with a buggy out hammering the hell out of it.

EDIT: I'd Detroit the rear if you can. I'd also look at lower gears, and keep OD. Your effective ratio w/4.10's and 36+ tires sucks. :D

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
For beef you could go with 35spl. outers and warn premium hubs. Tire size: Why such big tires? I would say 33's or 285's... (315's MAX!!!) for an expedition/exploration rig. Your gears will match that size quite well.

Even with the size and weight I think you have a very solid drivetrain. The BW1356 is a tank! The first thing I would consider is the outers and then cromoly inners. Next up would be an upgraded steering with hydro assist (Ford PS leaves a lot to be desired). After that it would be replacing whatever breaks if it ever does.

Have you thought about an IDI/ZF5 swap? As you already know that's the direction I'd head :greg:

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
33's 4.10's strait 4 speed 3200 rpm on the highway at 75...

37's (currently and they aren't much of a 37, they hold air, so one step above the 33's)
4.10's straight 4speed 2800 rpm at 75

39.5... thinking that drops me even closer to a 2500 mark. have slowly gone from 7 mpg (no O2, and 33's) to 10-11. I don't think the next step is gonna kill that. Have access to a set of 39.5 Ground Hawgs that the owner isn't and refuses to run, old, hard, noisy... they will be the litmus test before I commit.

Spare shafts in the back are the things I was looking for...

ALso the affirmation that drivetrain was solid, and should be well under breaking point was on the list of things I was looking for...

Yes I have considered the IDI swap... the cost per mile between an IDI at 16,($2.95 a gallon/16= $.19 a mile) and a 460 at 13 ($2.75/13 = $.21).. is so close... that I would be forever getting my money back out of the swap. If 11 is where I am, and I haven't finished the basic tune up stuff yet, let alone enhance it, e-fans, balanced t-stat Ram Air, etc....I think 13 is with in sights. (google Project MPG....)

The IDI swap is what generated my 460 for sale ad awhile ago.