All things camp trailer..

Houndoc

Great timing for a thread.
Started doing a little trailer shopping (KSL) yesterday.
We have always just tent camped, even when our kids where little. But have some concern about hitting Lake Powell next month with my not-yet 4 month old (as of the trip) grandson. Having A/C to keep him cool would bring some peace of mind (although my youngest managed a week of tents camping at Powell, 110-115 each day, at 6 months (and fishing Flaming Gorge at -10F 3 months later).
So, thinking a 18-22 foot trailer could be nice for these trips and for future quick getaways with my wife.
For this trip, my son-in-law would have to do the towing with his parent's Suburban since I have the boat to haul.

Any pointers on what to look for in that size range and a budget of under $15K would be appreciated. My biggest concern is getting one new enough to avoid worries like leaking roofs etc.

Also, wondering what generator would be recommended. A/C is really the only thing we would really be concerned with.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
We have always just tent camped, even when our kids where little. But have some concern about hitting Lake Powell next month with my not-yet 4 month old (as of the trip) grandson. Having A/C to keep him cool would bring some peace of mind (although my youngest managed a week of tents camping at Powell, 110-115 each day, at 6 months (and fishing Flaming Gorge at -10F 3 months later).
So, thinking a 18-22 foot trailer could be nice for these trips and for future quick getaways with my wife.
For this trip, my son-in-law would have to do the towing with his parent's Suburban since I have the boat to haul.

Any pointers on what to look for in that size range and a budget of under $15K would be appreciated. My biggest concern is getting one new enough to avoid worries like leaking roofs etc.

Also, wondering what generator would be recommended. A/C is really the only thing we would really be concerned with.
THIS thread should give you some input on generators.

RockChucker

I sold mine and just ordered a new 2022 F-350 with the 7.3 Godzilla. It might ght not be here until 2022, but I think I can wait that long and I ordered a pretty specific truck.
I'm entirely too cheap to consider a new vehicle. I'm so cheap that I squeak when I walk. I can see the appeal of ordering exactly what you want, but I've never paid anything over $23k for a vehicle (at least in one shot....I know my Jeep is well past that but spread over 15 years of modifying) and get the heebie jeebies thinking about spending $50k+ for a new truck. It even gives me the willies that a 7 or 8 year old gasser truck with 150k miles on the clock is north of $30k these days.

Pile of parts

Is your truck a long bed or short bed? I started looking a while ago, but like all things RV, the prices are crazy right now.
2015, 3500 long bed with air bags.
Camper is a 2012 Arctic Fox 992 .
The truck is stable and handles it fine but a Dually would be better. I just don't want to buy 6 tires. Four is bad enough. 😭

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
We recently picked up a 2021 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2104S, did a lot of talking about trailers and campers in the last 18 months. It's a 22' trailer, GVW comes in just over 6K#'s, has a 54 gallon fresh water tank and 30 gallons for the grey & black, a large slide, queen size Murphy bed, bathroom with shower seperate from toilet, etc. I like it because it sits up high, I shouldn't have to worry about rough Baja roads. ;)

It has a lot of neat features and tech, like heated tanks, wifi, 190W solar panel (expandable) etc. It's just the wife and I, so I think this is a great size for our needs.

i-67WDZjD-X2.jpg

Biggest reason for buying it is due to work and traveling, I have been paying $600-800 a month for hotels and I'd rather put that money towards something I own. We will be rolling out on a vacation to the PNW soon, taking the trailer. Should be fun!

i-qFShxks-X2.jpg

We tow with either the wife's '15 F150 EcoBoost or my work truck, a 2009 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.0 gas truck. The F150 has Falcon Tow/Haul shocks and combined with the equalizer hitch, it is very controlled and composed when towing. To the point that I bought Timbrens for it, but I don't think they're needed!

boogie_4wheel

2010 Forest River Shockwave, 21ft.
Perfect size for the four of us. Purchased brand new. Been a great trailer, just broke a drawer piece once. I lived in it for two years straight while working away from home, and it gave me enough room to use as a garage for the street bike during that time.
Here is a recent trip to the Coral Pinks. I added a hitch on the back to bring my parent's Ranger that we borrowed. My bike and 3 wheeler were inside.
Truck is an '05 Cummins/Auto, nearing 150k.
20210422_103308.jpg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hold on...I'd love to hear more about this.
It's an imaginary truck at this point, so I don't have a lot to say about it. 😂

We needed a severe change in our vehicle fleet. The Ram 3500 was my wife's daily driver for 4 years. We traded it on a Hemi Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and started looking for an older truck. A gas truck. I didn't want another diesel. I originally wanted a 6.2 F-250 or F-350, but the used prices are as much as ordering a new truck and they have as much as 90k miles on them. I don't mind waiting, and I've always wanted another Supercab Shortbed. Then a friend of mine reminded me about the 🦖 motor and it got stuck in my head. It's likely the last big-block Ford motor to be produced.

I found one on a dealer lot in New Hampshire with everything I wanted (and some crap I didn't). I was ready to fly out there and road trip that sucker across the country, but they wouldn't sell it to me because they didn't want to deal with the extra paperwork. So I said eff it, and ordered one. Vinyl floors and seats and a great big GAS V8. WOOT!

I'm gettin old enough that I'm ready for my Grandpa truck. I no longer have the desire to tow my 5th wheel all over the country, it's too much like my job and I get pretty irritated with people at RV parks who have no idea what they're doing pulling a trailer. The Hemi Grand Cherokee is a fantastic road tripper, is rated to tow my Jeeps with my light little Jeep Dolly and Airbnb kicks ass.

I kinda wish Ford offered Harbor Blue in 2022. My Grandpa's 68 F-250 was Harbor Blue.

As far as new trucks being expensive, they are. I'm also a tightwad, but my career makes DIY repairs very inconvenient and my PTO days are sacred to me and my loved ones (that includes a few of you dorks). I'm at the point in my life where I resent the time that mandatory DIY stuff takes away from my family time and I'm much happier just making that payment and enjoying my family. Except Britney. She gets my special DIY days now. I'll be fixing that bitch for the rest of my life and I'm OK with that, but that's my one big splurge on myself. And when Britney is cut in half in the garage, I can still wheel my JK.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
As far as new trucks being expensive, they are. I'm also a tightwad, but my career makes DIY repairs very inconvenient and my PTO days are sacred to me and my loved ones (that includes a few of you dorks). I'm at the point in my life where I resent the time that mandatory DIY stuff takes away from my family time and I'm much happier just making that payment and enjoying my family. Except Britney. She gets my special DIY days now. I'll be fixing that bitch for the rest of my life and I'm OK with that, but that's my one big splurge on myself. And when Britney is cut in half in the garage, I can still wheel my JK.
I’ve tried to explain this to people and they just don’t get it. I’m glad at least one other person understands!

N-Smooth

I get it. My checking account doesn't. I have to do my own maintenance, which is why all my shiz is early '00s or older.
Oh yeah don’t get me wrong I’ve always done my own maintenance but I just drop vehicles when they get near 100k. I’ll change oil, even spark plugs but when water pumps and timing belts are due I’m just done.

N-Smooth

We had a ‘09 26’ bunkhouse for a few years and now have a ‘11 26’ bunkhouse and both have been pretty much trouble free. Both were around $10k so you should be able to get a newer model depending on size. Just look at some different models and you’ll quickly figure out the stuff you like and dislike- just like test driving cars.

Die Blaue Ziege

Working on a Ford somewhere
I'm entirely too cheap to consider a new vehicle. I'm so cheap that I squeak when I walk. I can see the appeal of ordering exactly what you want, but I've never paid anything over $23k for a vehicle (at least in one shot....I know my Jeep is well past that but spread over 15 years of modifying) and get the heebie jeebies thinking about spending $50k+ for a new truck. It even gives me the willies that a 7 or 8 year old gasser truck with 150k miles on the clock is north of $30k these days.
Man if you squeak when you walk I'd hate to know what sound comes out of me the most I've ever paid for a vehicle is 13000. I think anything more than 10 grand is too much for something that looses value so fast....... My wife needs a new car and she just keeps saying " can we please buy something.made in the last decade?" Haha

Raleigh

OMF Dave
Currently I have a 30' Flagstaff, love the layout of the trailer with the huge slide out.

Before I got the Freightliner I had a '96 7.3 that i pulled a crawler hauler i built. That worked great, but the camper was small for 3 people.

I need to get some decent batteries, and 300 or so watts of solar. The batteries are only 2 years old, but sat dead for over a year and just don't hold a good charge. 20200904_190340.jpgIMG_20210410_131847_769.jpg

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Currently I have a 30' Flagstaff, love the layout of the trailer with the huge slide out.

Before I got the Freightliner I had a '96 7.3 that i pulled a crawler hauler i built. That worked great, but the camper was small for 3 people.

I need to get some decent batteries, and 300 or so watts of solar. The batteries are only 2 years old, but sat dead for over a year and just don't hold a good charge. View attachment 138675View attachment 138676

That Freightliner is likely bored out of its mind towing that load? What mpg do you get with that “load”?