Alloy Axles????????????????

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
My bad.. I was on the understanding that the owner of Alloy USA came from Superior and bought/made his axles the same place Superior did, which is over seas.

Looking on both websites, neither say they are made in the USA, or at least no place I can find.

It really doesn't matter, IMO, they are all great axles.

Craig S

Commando
My bad.. I was on the understanding that the owner of Alloy USA came from Superior and bought/made his axles the same place Superior did, which is over seas.

Looking on both websites, neither say they are made in the USA, or at least no place I can find.

It really doesn't matter, IMO, they are all great axles.

Superior has two lines, One made in USA (Foot Axle & Forge in California) and the other from India. All Alloy USA is from over seas (India I think). All of Randy's stuff is from India, I have met his manufacturer at the SEMA show. Also at the SEMA show I witnessed the testing (to failure) of Spicer, Yukon, Alloy USA, and Superior axles 4340 CroMo front axle shafts with Ujoints. I don't remember the exact numbers but I remember the order of failure. There was a huge difference between all the aftermarket axles and the stock Spicer stuff. This was the pecking order from best to worse of the common 4340 shafts:

1. Superior
2. Alloy
3. Yukon
4. Spicer

Longfield Super axles were also tested, but these shafts are for CV applications such as Toyota and some specialty Dana 60 axles. The Longfield’s are made from 300M and tested above the 4340 products for strength.

The Spicer is not 4340 CroMo and is way down in strength from the other axles.

I recommend using the best product available whenever possible for off road abuse and having spares on hand for any areas that experience repeated failure for the following reasons:

1. Trail repairs are a pain in the butt and generally slow a whole group down waiting for the repair.
2. Sometimes you have to leave your vehicle and come back the next day for repairs.
3. If your in a competition, you have just lost unless you can make the repair quickly from spares on hand.
4. It can ruin your whole trip if you can’t get parts and are done wheeling for the duration of your vacation.
5. I HATE CHANGING AXLES.

I sell all of the above products and will match any verified competitors pricing. I have gone wheeling or met with the owners of all the above companys except for Spicer. I am on a first name basis with the owners of these companys. I should be able to resolve any problems that you may have with any of the above products and will work to solve any warranty issues from any product purchased from me. I also agree with Wayne that all are good products easily exceeding stock type axles for strength and quality.

Craig

Last edited:

fire4j15

Superior has two lines, One made in USA (Foot Axle & Forge in California) and the other from India. All Alloy USA is from over seas (India I think). All of Randy's stuff is from India, I have met his manufacturer at the SEMA show. Also at the SEMA show I witnessed the testing (to failure) of Spicer, Yukon, Alloy USA, and Superior axles 4340 CroMo front axle shafts with Ujoints. I don't remember the exact numbers but I remember the order of failure. There was a huge difference between all the aftermarket axles and the stock Spicer stuff. This was the pecking order from best to worse of the common 4340 shafts:

1. Superior
2. Alloy
3. Yukon
4. Spicer

Longfield Super axles were also tested, but these shafts are for CV applications such as Toyota and some specialty Dana 60 axles. The Longfield’s are made from 300M and tested above the 4340 products for strength.

The Spicer is not 4340 CroMo and is way down in strength from the other axles.

I recommend using the best product available whenever possible for off road abuse and having spares on hand for any areas that experience repeated failure for the following reasons:

1. Trail repairs are a pain in the butt and generally slow a whole group down waiting for the repair.
2. Sometimes you have to leave your vehicle and come back the next day for repairs.
3. If your in a competition, you have just lost unless you can make the repair quickly from spares on hand.
4. It can ruin your whole trip if you can’t get parts and are done wheeling for the duration of your vacation.
5. I HATE CHANGING AXLES.

I sell all of the above products and will match any verified competitors pricing. I have gone wheeling or met with the owners of all the above companys except for Spicer. I am on a first name basis with the owners of these companys. I should be able to resolve any problems that you may have with any of the above products and will work to solve any warranty issues from any product purchased from me. I also agree with Wayne that all are good products easily exceeding stock type axles for strength and quality.

Craig

Craig, What do you think of 300m axles?? Are they to expensive?? How much of a strength gain is 300m over 4340 chromoly?? Thanks

SICK99TJ

Have to agree with Wayne on Alloy USA. Their customer service cannot be matched. Ron is a great guy. I've run their D30 27 spline alloy shafts for a couple of years with 35" krawlers and beat the living crap out of them without issue.

37s are touch and go on Rubi44s. They are IMHO, not worth the headaches. If you upgrade to 30 outers, it will just break somewhere else.

i never ran anything other than stock shafts for a long time ran everything from prichett to rusty nail and never had issues..it is all in how your right foot operates:D mine is not as heavy as some of the boys on here.:eek: i would not upgrade to the 30 outers either just get what you need right now and go have fun.

Meat_

Banned
i never ran anything other than stock shafts for a long time ran everything from prichett to rusty nail and never had issues..it is all in how your right foot operates:D mine is not as heavy as some of the boys on here.:eek: i would not upgrade to the 30 outers either just get what you need right now and go have fun.

I'm only running stock shafts :D

rondo

rondo
Ahem - they sell Yukon, so they have been covered ;)

They are made in India? just like Superior, Warn, and Alloy USA.

As for problems with warranty, I know they like the customer to go through the dealer you bought it from and not direct - so maybe that was it? They also want to know what size tires, gears, etc you had at the time of the break - maybe you misinterpreted that as harrasing you? Ask around on the boards (they are huge on Pirate) about their product and warranty, I'm sure you'll find your case out of the norm.

If you are trying to convince me they are a great company, don't bother. if you love them so much, i would be glad to sell you the two remaining POS shafts that didn't break.

Also they weren't harrassing me, but it was only after i convinced them it wasn't the u-joint that took out the stub that they warranteed it; i paid shipping. big deal. after the next shaft broke i noticed the place i bought them from went out of business suddenly. kind of hard to return it thru the place you bought them from. BTW the place i bought them from had me talk to Randys direct, so wtf.

In a nutshell, i'd had longer life out of the stock 1980 junkyard shafts that came with my 44.

Call me nuts, i just want something made in the USA, not made in India. I mean the price of this stuff is high as hell; where is the discount by buying foreign made junk?

Craig S

Commando
Craig, What do you think of 300m axles?? Are they to expensive?? How much of a strength gain is 300m over 4340 chromoly?? Thanks

300 M is high grade 4340 and is capable of a little higher strength (10%). The main thing is that it is consistant. What this means is that an axle made from 300 M will always be high quality and have full strength. Some brands from India will vary in strength, this means that one axle will be strong and the next one may not be as strong due to manufacturing variances. The only shafts made in USA are Superior & Longfield. Superior has one product made in USA and one from overseas. You can tell by the price which is which. Longfield is all USA product and 300 M. I use only the USA products in my race vehicle and have never broken an axle in 4 years of competition front or rear. I am putting out 400 HP 350 ft lbs. with a 68 to low range (23,800 ft lbs. torque). I use a transmission brake for hard launches and do not hold back for any reason during competition. If you want stuff that won't break, I know what to get. If you want middle of the road stuff that most people would not break I have that also. The good stuff always costs more up front, but is usually cheaper in the long run.

Craig