Aluminum Welding

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Has anyone used oxy/acetylene to weld aluminum? I need a small quarter size hole patched and was looking at using the torch and a mig stick.

Input?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I have watched several videos and it looks fairly easy. Bob, yes flux is a must.

I like doing things I haven't done before... :D

Thanks,

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The problem with the color (or lack of color) is that you can't tell how hot it's getting until it turns into a puddle and drops away....and the nice little bead you're making turns into a 1" hole. :eek:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
A puddle doesn't need color to know how hot it is. Puddling should indicate the temperature. Knowing how to blend the puddle with the filler is the trick.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I think you're right about that-- and I'm sure thousands of bike frame weldors agree.

Post pics if you can, I'm fascinated by aluminum for some reason.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non

well, there's that... but I think it's because of engineers and all their machined aluminum parts. Plus, I got into mountain bikes in the later 80's and raced throughout the 90's, when there were tons of small shops machining the hell out of all kind of widgety bits... sweet CNC'd brakes, titanium bolts all over, etc.

but I digress, as usual.

Caleb

no, but it is weldor.

wel·dor (-dr) A person who welds, especially as a profession
Depends on the dictionary you look at. Some recognize it as weldor, some say it should be welder. ;) Random House recognizes it, Oxfords does not.

Last edited:

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Shawn, what is it that you are trying to fix? Ive had pretty good luck with Durafix aluminum brazing rods as long as the application doesnt need to hold pressure or be structurally solid.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I have an aluminum air tank that has a 3/4 " hole in it that need some minor repair. I think it was a fuel take because the hole is a vent tube.

Really, I'm just looking for a new adventure, I priced out a spoon gun...:eek: just a little too much.
I have a buddy that is really into oxy/acet and I just got to thinking/researching.

Just really wondering if anyone locally had played with this.