Amount of backspacing...

lowe1974

mbryson's butcher
I was wondering how much you could narrow the track width of an 14bolt axle by changing the back spacing/offset of a rim. I want to get as close to stock width of my jeep with a full size 14 bolt, which i believe is 11 inched wider than a Model 20 widetrack. I do know that I can get a 14 bolt from a cab and chasis and be alot closer but I can get a full width one for free, and before I cut it down to the correct size I thought it might be real easy just to make up some of the difference with the rim. What do you guys think.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
seems like the most backspacing you can get is half the width of the rim. 8=4 10=5 12=6 and so on. if you got a 14 you could do it well, but the rim is more than having the axle narrowed

Caleb

Whats ya gonna do about a spare??? If you run your standard wheel as a spare you are going to be lopsided...I say either have it narrowed or maybe get spacers for the front axle to bring it out wider...the nice thing about the 14 bolt is all the shafts are the same lengths...c&c or not, easy/cheap to get spares:D

goin4xn

Jeepaholic
Supr's got a good point re: the spare.
Just take this as an oppertunityto swap ina fullsize front axle too! If you don't want a 60 up front you can get 44's with an 8 lug pattern that will be the same width (Besides I like the extra stability when going to a bigger lift). If that's not an option then I'd say just narrow the sucker. It's gonna cost you less inthe long run than buying custom rims. While you're at it get a second set of shafts and have them narrowed at the same time. You'll probably never need them but at least you'll have them just in case.
Scott

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Okay, here's what you do. Change the hubs on the 14. My 14 bolt measures 64" wms to wms. Chevy had a lot of different lengths of hubs, try some frome a dually. My axle came from under a utility truck which was a dually but the housing is the same as a non-dually. My friends 14 isn't from a dually and our shafts are identical- but mine is 4 inches narrower just because of the hubs.

Caleb

Yep you can get different widths by changing out parts...and the shafts are all the same length...thats what is nice about the 14 bolt:D:D:D

lowe1974

mbryson's butcher
So it is just a hub change and I can loss 4 inches. That is not that bad unless the hub cost a lot. I have toyed with the idea of running full size axle but i just don't know. I do have the 44 front to go a long with the 14 bolt rear all out of a 77 3/4 ton chevy. the rest of the drive train is in my jeep so why not the axles. I am worried about the overall width of the jeep. i don't link it when jeep start to look like skate boads with the wheels sticking way out, but maybe some nice fender flares can make it look good. I just have to see.
Dan

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm the same way, I just finished my 44 front end tonight. I cut it down 3 inches on the long side so I can keep the spring perches under the frame and I just use a wagoneer long shaft.