Another coilover question

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
So I'm pretty familiar with how to set up air shocks, but I don't have any experience with coilovers. I'm doing a 4-link / 3-link / stretch on a friends Zuk buggy, and he is using Radflo 2" emulsion coilovers, 7/8 shaft, 12" in the front and 14" rear.

I weighed each corner, and used the FOA calculator to determine spring rates. When I put everything together, my ride height (bump travel) was pretty close to what I was shooting for, but when I charged the shocks to the specified 200 psi, both ends raised about 2 1/2 inches.

I called Radflo, and they said the shocks should raise slightly, but no where near 2+ inches. They said I could charge them to 150 psi intead of 200, whih I did, but they still raised almost 2". The only thing he could come up with was to drive it and see if it settles. I plan on doing that as soon as I get the driveshaft back from being lengthend next week.

So, my question is, is this normal? Any ideas would be appriciated.

cjncustoms

My fox coilovers raised too when I charged them. I can't recall exactly how much but I want to say 1.5". They did settle down to my desired ride height after a little bit of rallying and hitting a few dips. I assume the radflos will prob do the same...

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I just charged my coilovers as well, they only raised about 1/2 ". However, I charged them less than specified.

If the rig is super light that could be part of it.

I bet it settles down a little.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Thanks for the replies. We're taking it out to BFE tomorrow for a test, so we'll see if they settle a bit...

Venture13

You are charging the shocks fully extended? The springs, especially FOA blue brand ones will settle rather quickly. I would try to run for a few miles and get everything settled. Some times the setup will settle over a few inches.. More expensive springs have a better lifespan.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
You are charging the shocks fully extended? The springs, especially FOA blue brand ones will settle rather quickly. I would try to run for a few miles and get everything settled. Some times the setup will settle over a few inches.. More expensive springs have a better lifespan.

Yes, the shocks were charged when fully extended. First, I made an educated guess on the per-corner weight and ordered some springs, then installed everything with zero pressure in the shocks to calculate actual weight based on spring deflection. My original weight estimates were a bit off, so I re-calculated my spring rates based on the actual measured weights for the desired ride height, installed the new springs, and the ride height was perfect with zero pressure. But when I charged the shocks, they all raised about 2 1/2 inches.

Venture13

The fading of the springs will settle a few inches, the charge of nitro depends on pressure. To much pressure can change a few things..