Another double trailer accident

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I saw that the other day..
I have never been too concern when pulling doubles... I don't do it too often, but enough to be experienced..
I believe his first mistake was the truck he was using.. Looks like a 70's chev. That truck really is not adequate in the first place.
I wonder if he had anti-sway and equalizer hitches on the trailers. That would also make a big difference.
The driver stated that he felt the trailers start to sway, so he used his brakes.. This is a bad idea also. (assuming he used the pedal, and not just the trailer brake controller)
But it is easy for me to sit and say everything he did wrong, because this is the internet, and I know everything.. about everything....

In reality, for all we know he had all the right equipment, had plenty of experience and know how, and this was just a freak accident.. Could have blown a tire, etc.

Over all, I think it is a crappy situation, and feel bad for all involved.

Edit: and after looking closer, he did at least have an equalizer on the first trailer..

Last edited:

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
That is a very sad story. I see lots of pulling double in this state and feel there should be special attention put on those drivers to keep everyone associated or driving within the vicinity of those vehicle trains safe. As you can imagine the statistics say that a certain percentage of those drivers are not trained or have the experience to pull like that safely. Chassis weight rating, dual safety brakes, driver experience and speed while pulling are all things to take into account all the time while moving and that's lots of variables for your brain to take into account after a long weekend... and when the shit hits the fan you typically can't get things under control in time even in the best situations! I personally know lots of iron man towers who can haul doubles, but it is kind of a crap shoot even for the most veteran drivers.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
There are phrases that I try to take into account during all sorts of situations, they're called:
- Chronic Unease
- Risk Normalization
- Confirmation Bias
if you read a bit on each of these phrases and apply them to your towing situations or being an innocent bystander around a trailer in tow (and other dangerous tasks) you can help be prepared for the unknow, unknowns.

Last edited:

LT.

I had done a bunch of reading on this subject years ago when i pulled doubles. What I learned was first, you needed an adaquate tow rig. I believe this fella did not. Second, there are more accidents pulling just one trailer than there are pulling doubles. That said, there are more folks pulling a single trailer than there are pulling doubles. And when it comes to accidents there are more that do not involve trailers. So, take it for what its worth. After pulling doubles a handful of times I don't do it anymore.

Pulling doubles can be done safely if, the gear is in good working order and the equipment is correct as said above. We can monday morning quaterback this but, I do not believe the operator would have pulled if he thought it was not safe. I dont believe it was his intent. It is such a shame that it happened and I pray for all those involved.

LT.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Ive seen more people pulling double in the bar-pit, than sucessfully going down the road, problem is the false sense of control, everthing feels right so they wind up doing 70+ until they have to slow down or swerve, then it all gets messy. if you pull doubles then you need all the right set up, then travel half the comfortable speed.

Bart

Agreed x2

Ive seen more people pulling double in the bar-pit, than sucessfully going down the road, problem is the false sense of control, everthing feels right so they wind up doing 70+ until they have to slow down or swerve, then it all gets messy. if you pull doubles then you need all the right set up, then travel half the comfortable speed.

R

rockdog

I have pulled doubles on several occasions. I can't say I'm an authority on it , but I can say I have done it enough to know what and whatnot I am comfortable with.
Number one thing I can say from personal experience is never, never double pull with two tongue pull trailers. If you want to double tow, the front trailer should be a fifth wheel.
Two, the second trailer needs to weigh less than the front. Much less is best!
I have pulled my boat behind my fifth wheel. But don't do it often. And when I do I drive slower and a lot more defensively. My truck is a one ton crew cab. I wouldn't pull this setup with a lighter or shorter truck! Ever!
I've pulled a twelve foot trailer with a RZR in it behind my fifth wheel and can't even tell it's back there because the fifth wheel out weighs it by so much.
That's my take on pulling doubles.

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
I have a 1-ton dually that will pull the Queen Mary, but I still won't consider pulling doubles. The risk factor goes way up no matter how careful you are or how well you have everything lined out and balanced. Even large over the road tractor-trailer doubles are pretty scary, not to mention triple trailer rigs. Just getting with the wrong gust of wind can set off a wreck that no-one can save.

LT.

Thank heavens the youngest passenger was not the one killed. The news said it was a travel trailer with a flat bed trailer behind the travel trailer. Unless I am missing something I believe that a travel trailer means a bumper pull trailer. So, I gather that both trailers in the chain were bumper pulls. Such a shame for sure. And all pulled with a 1972 Chevy truck that was a non dually and probably only a 3/4 ton at best that weighed about 6,000 lbs. What a disaster in the making for sure. Why would someone even try something this reckless and with their family?

LT.

Chevycrew

My buddy tows a flatbed car trailer with a crawler on it, and behind that a 20+ foot travel trailer. All behind an ex-cab 8.1L. He takes it easy, has all the right equipment, but I still don't approve.

ricsrx

X2 on the 72 chev, I pulled a car behind my 70 GMC with a tow bar many years a go and it was a disaster waiting to happen

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
some 72 chevys are sketchy going down the highway without pulling anything, a sloppy steering box and worn tie rod ends would make it a non tow rig.