Another KX250 Project...

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
This one sold!
I've got another KX 125 I'm building now. It's all done a week ago actually except for a new linkage I had to order off eBay since the previous owner decided to ride it without a lower shock bearing and it ovaled out the linkage...lame.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
So here's the 2001 KX 125.

The only redeeming thing about this deal is supposedly it has a new top end. Well I compression tested it and low and behold: it does!
Someone loved it a long time ago. It's got aftermarket upper clamps and big bars (this was a big deal... like 15 years ago) The whole frame is powdercoated a cool metallic silver, (not some hack spray paint job, they actually tore it all the way down).

It got:

Torn down for inspection:

Cleaned and detailed.

Rebuilt carb.

New linkage, New All Balls linkage bearings & lower shock bearing.

I thought I could just replace the shock bearing but.....
This was ruined from some idiot riding with no lower shock bearing...

So I had to buy a new linkage (which came cheaper with a swing-arm)

Yanked out the linkage:

New bearings.

New transmission oil.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Moaaar...

Repaired tank (the upper nut that holds the radiator shroud had stripped out and the previous owner decided to drill it out... he blew through the tank with his drill bit...)
Luckily I found this great two part plastic tank weld epoxy a few years ago and fixed it in no time flat.

New rear fender, cleaned chain, new air filter, new All Balls countershaft seal.

New fork seals and fork oil. The PO tightened the crap out of the caliper bolts and they were seized... so I got to drill them.... FUnnnn..

I was pleased to find the fork slider bushing in good shape. Forks set at 110mm with 5wt BelRay fork oil.

New Grips, new folding levers (anodized green)

New Graphics
New Neutron seat cover (it had a Factory Effex seat cover... but it was torn).

New one with my little helper :D

New black front fender (2004 Honda CRF450R).
New radiator louvers.

Replaced the rear brake line plastic guides.
Raised the shift lever (for some reason all Kawi's of this era have the lever set so low you have to contort your ankle to up-shift).
New Maxxis Desert IT tires.

Rebuild and repainted silencer. (Wow this was ugly).

It has an aftermarket billet aluminum upper triple clamp and ProTaper 1 1/8" fat bars.

Someone powder-coated the frame metallic silver (stock was bright green in 2001).

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Shiny.

This is exciting I bought a really cool tool out of England to fix pipes.

So if anyone wants their pipe fixed bring it by and I'll fix it and polish it (or paint it if you want it blaaaack). $40 for the first few folks, Then I'm only going to charge $60 I think.

Polished and repaired the dents on the Pro Circuit Platinum Pipe.

I think it turned out great.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Dang looks good!! Your going to have to keep this one, too much invested in it now
Thanks dude

I am not a fan of Black. Love the original green. You really need to put a 300 kit on this.
It would be hard to put a 300 kit on this because it's a 125 LOL

I also do like the green frames these had originally but it's nice to do something different once in awhile

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Hope your new project is rad! I'll keep looking for that axle.

Ive found a few on EBay for about $20 after shipping, but will hold out a bit in case you find that one. Got new bearings today and have Julene from Summit finding me a billet of aluminum I can use for the neck :thumbs:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I've got a frame, subframe and swingarm I picked up today you can have for a steal, if you care to do steel instead of aluminum ( the subframe and swingarm are AL). Sometimes it's easier to cut something up than start completely from scratch.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
So this 01 had some weird issue where the kickstarter would slip like 1 in 4 kicks.
Pulled it apart and found some rounding wear on the spur and ratchet gear.
IMG_20180207_213412.jpg

The teeth didn't quite mesh perfectly.

IMG_20180207_213321.jpg

So I slowly took a few thousands off.

IMG_20180207_213351.jpg

I got them fully meshed and reassembled to test it.

Seems like it fixed it. I added an extra washer outside on the kickstarter lever to take up any slop in the splines.

Last edited:

Tonkaman

So this 01 had some weird issue where the kickstarter would slip like 1 in 4 kicks.
Pulled it apart and found some rounding wear on the spur and ratchet gear.
View attachment 111962

The teeth didn't quite mesh perfectly.

View attachment 111963

So I slowly took a few thousands off.

View attachment 111964

I got them fully meshed and reassembled to test it.

Seems like it fixed it. I added an extra washer outside on the kickstarter lever to take up any slop in the splines.
I love the improvised bench grinder