General Tech Anti-Wrap bar for a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500

Justin Lake

Anti-Wrap bar build

So I recently bought a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 primarily for a hunting/work truck and I discovered how bad it "hopped" in the snow (the axle-wrap was terrible). I only paid 500 bucks for the truck so I had a little money to drop into it. The first order of business was an Anti-Wrap bar. Here are some pictures of my project. If you click on the picture it will view bigger.

With a steady hand I cut my axle brackets out with the plasma cutter
axle bracket 1.jpg

Axle bracket with bushings
axle bracket 2.jpg

Axle bracket tabs welded to the axle
axle bracket 3.jpg

This was the start of my cross-member that the anti-wrap bar would connect to
crossmember 1.jpg

mounted the cross-member to the frame and everything fit perfect but I noticed I would have to re-rout my exhaust. You'll see a pic of that further down
crossmeber 2.jpg

I also had to extend the cross-member about 4 inches so the anti-wrap bar would pivot on the same axis as my drive-shaft
crossmember 5.jpg

Built the tabs for the cross-member
crossmember 6.jpg

This is the shackle going onto the cross-member
shackle 1.jpg

Cross-member all finished
crossmember 3.jpg
crossmember 4.jpg

Last edited:

Justin Lake

I couldn't really fit some "gradual" exhaust elbows so I had to make my own.
exhaust 1.jpg

I finally got to the fun part
anti-wrap bar 1.jpg
anti-wrap bar 2.jpg
anti-wrap bar 4.jpg
anti-wrap bar 3.jpg

Thanks for viewing. If you have any questions or comments feel free.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Looks good, and stout! I do wonder though, why did you care whether the ladder bar pivoted at the same axis as the driveshaft or not?

Justin Lake

Well maybe I put too much thought into it but the reason I did that was I thought the pinion would always stay in line with the drive shaft as the axle traveled up and down. I guess that might have more to do with the length of the bar than anything. The shorter the bar the more the pinion will rotate up and down when the axle travels. I don't know I probably didn't need to but that is just what I thought about and went with.