Any Interest in doing part of the Utah Backcountry Discovery Route in 2014?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12904
  • Start date

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I had a carb leak that was getting worse. Yesterday I took it apart and found the accelerator pump diaphragm was the culprit. Got that replaced and built a license plate holder.
Since I hadn't taken the tight bastard loop for a test ride, I figured today was a good time to try it out. So I packed my bag with food, shelter, clothes, water and sleeping bag and headed around the block for a pre. run.

uploadfromtaptalk1400987153082.jpg

My right side leg was close to the header and after hearing about Derek melting his fancy bag I figured I had to remedy the problem. So I fabbed up a quick heat shield.
Next was how I had originally attached the top with a strap under the rear fender. I was afraid the tire would rub at full compression. So I used some Paracord and two existing holes in the fender to attach to the rear fender frame.

uploadfromtaptalk1400987531977.jpg

Now it's time to ride.
I rode up AF Canyon, zipped up some single track that was open.

uploadfromtaptalk1400987607569.jpg

All was well. I was actually surprised at how little I noticed the bag. So I headed up the road for some rough rocky high-speed.

uploadfromtaptalk1400987687317.jpg

I made it to the forest Lake turnoff with no shifting, no wet bag and no melted straps. Success.

I really think I am ready to go now.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

dude, pants as a saddle bag is the coolest thing I've ever seen. We were up hiking Forest Lake today, I'm surprised I didn't see you. Insanely sloppy conditions up there this weekend.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Thanks Steve. I wish I could take credit, but I totally stole the idea.
I didn't ride up to forest Lake, I stopped at the river crossing. It was pretty wet. I rode about 1 mile of single-track at the bridge by tibble Fork before it got muddy. I turned around even though my trials tire doesn't tear things up. It's just not worth risking those trails. One of the best things about where I live is AF Canyon single-track.

Tonkaman

Well I have some terrible terrible news.... I have to withdraw from this awesome event. My work schedule just got super overloaded and all coordination went haywire!

I'm really sorry I have to back out at the last minute. I hope you guys can pretend to have a horrible time so I don't cry myself to sleep for the next year

D

Deleted member 12904

Well I have some terrible terrible news.... I have to withdraw from this awesome event. My work schedule just got super overloaded and all coordination went haywire!

I'm really sorry I have to back out at the last minute. I hope you guys can pretend to have a horrible time so I don't cry myself to sleep for the next year

[video=youtube_share;cdEQmpVIE4A]http://youtu.be/cdEQmpVIE4A[/video]

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
That's a bummer Derek. I hate it when work gets in the way of fun.
Since I missed the planning trip, can we nail some details down? What time were we planning on leaving Friday?

D

Deleted member 12904

You guys are more than welcome to use my bag and straps to help keep all the gear contained

Seeing as how its in my car that would be convenient. But seeing as how I don't want to pay to replace it if I damage it I will pass. I need to get it back to you. I will drop it off at your place tomorrow after work.

D

Deleted member 12904

That's a bummer Derek. I hate it when work gets in the way of fun.
Since I missed the planning trip, can we nail some details down? What time were we planning on leaving Friday?

I sent you a text call me when you get a free minuet and we can go over details.

Tonkaman

Seeing as how its in my car that would be convenient. But seeing as how I don't want to pay to replace it if I damage it I will pass. I need to get it back to you. I will drop it off at your place tomorrow after work.

I really don't mind you taking it. It's better than risking a yard sale a hundred miles down the road

Tonkaman

I am so excited for you guys! The weather has been perfect, and the snow has melted early so it should go flawlessly. This will be a life changing trip I'm sure