Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

sixstringsteve

My wife and I are planning an easy MTB trip this weekend. My wife is a beginner, and a little slow and nervous, so faster riders will leave us behind. This weekend will be perfect for newer riders and teens. It would be really fun to have a group join us, especially ladies that could give my wife some confidence. Anyone interested is welcome to join us.

details:
Leaving Friday afternoon/evening.
camp somewhere friday evening
ride all day sat.
I'll be returning sat night or sun morning (feel free to continue riding on Sun, but we can't make it for that part)

Here are a couple trails we're thinking of:

San Rafael Swell:
Goodwater trail (Wedge/little grand canyon)
Black Dragon Wash (15 mile downhill shuttled run)

Moab:
Klonzo South trails
Dead Horse Point
Bar M trails
Klondike Bluffs Trails
Hymasa to Captain Ahab (Intermediate/expert)

Vernal
McKoy Flat area

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Black Dragon would kick ass. She'd love that.

I've done most of the Bar M trails, they're cool too but probably won't fill a day.

sixstringsteve

you interested in joining kev?

If we went to Moab we'd do a handful of trails. I'm open to suggestions. I think going from schaefer switchbacks to potash road would be super scenic and fun.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I could be wrong but I thought skidmap was being merged into trailforks. The guy that runs skidmap was going to shut it down last year because of the cost and effort he was putting into it for free. Tons of people on utahmountainbiking offered to pitch in and I think there was some collaboration because it got way better shortly after. Either way, I would hate to lose skidmap. It is really an awesome tool. I can't believe you just found it.

sixstringsteve

Yeah, this is the first time I've stumbled across skidmap. Super cool resource.

I haven't ridden many different trails in utah, I need to try more. I seem to just ride the same 5 trails over and over.

Last edited:
The bad thing about air spring rear shocks is that they are very dependant on pressure. This makes setting them correctly even for a test ride crucial. When I bought my Reign, I couldn't even pedal it. I'm heavy for my size and the shop had assumed I was at least 50 lbs lighter so the bike with that pressure was literally unrideable. The bob you felt on a trance was most likely because the shock wasn't at the correct pressure.

Your in the same boat most people are though. Not knowing how much bike you really "need" is hard to decide.

I would definitely say that a shock pump should be something that anyone with an air suspension bike should have. Especially if weight loss/gain is on the horizon. I keep a RockShox in my bag whenever I go riding since I am still dialing mine in and all. They go for 30-40 dollars and are well worth the cost.

I typically have -the best you can afford- line of thought on the how much do you need question. I would rather have one bike that is over built(?) Rather then have gone through four figuring out that I needed more/better.

Last edited:

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Well I test rode the Trance again after having the shock pressure set and adjusting the seat front to back and the bobbing/pedaling efficiency issues mostly went away. I think it'll provide a longer term platform over the Anthem, so I went ahead of bought it. Now to find some beginner trails!

2013 Giant Trance X 29er 2
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/trance.x.29er.2/11514/55874/

Trance_X_29er_2.jpg

Last edited:

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
I'm actually planning on riding in Grand Junction this weekends with a friend who lives there, and we were planning on checking out some brand new beginner trail in Moab on Saturday. Stay in touch, maybe we could meet up or something.

sixstringsteve

Cool. We are riding easy trails saturday morning and hard trails in the afternoon. I'll keep you posted.

Let me know if you find out the name of the trail in moab you were thinking of riding. We haven't decided yet, but we're thinking Klondike bluffs, bar m, and maybe dead horse point this Saturday morning.

Samersen

We have a group of us going down to Saint George this weekend as well. We are riding Zen Friday afternoon and then we will be riding Bearclaw for a night ride. And Saturday morning we are riding Gooseberry Mesa. If anyone is interest in that trip as well. We will have a range of riders, with the bigger group it ends up beings a bit slower.

sixstringsteve

Man, that sounds like an awesome trip. I wish I could join! I've only ridden gooseberry and it was great. I hear the other two are even better.

Samersen

I have only done Bearclaw and what I understand is Zen isn't much harder and goose should be a blast! Have fun in Moab, that was the other place we were looking at riding.

sixstringsteve

How'd it go Mike? We rode south Klonzo on Sat morning, but we didn't see you. Pretty fun trail system with a good amount of variety. Houdini was a blast as was roller coaster. My wife did really well out there.

After that we headed to Dead Horse Point. They have some fantastic kid and beginner-friendly trails out there. There weren't any big climbs or descents. In fact, everyone commented how it felt like the trails always went downhill, even though we rode out and back. We didn't spend much time there, but we'll definitely be going back for some scenic and fun mellow trails.

After that, we dropped my wife off to go hiking and my fried joel and I rode Hymasa to Captain Ahab. I don't like climbing, but Hymasa was so much fun, and it was uphill the entire way. I really enjoyed it. The sun was setting, then it was time to ride down Ahab. That trail is no joke. That's without a doubt the most technical trail I've ever ridden. It was an absolute blast, but I would only want to take experienced riders on that one. A dropper post is almost a must on that trail. I can't wait to go back and ride it again. It was my first time on that trail and I love it. It's not flowy, it's not fast, but it's incredibly technical. I had to walk 2 or 3 sections, but I'm sure I could ride them if I had time to scout out a line before attempting them. I can't wait to get back on that trail.

Last edited: