Any recommendations on a HVAC company?

Pile of parts

If it makes you feel any better, it's 88 in my house tonight - which is better than the 92 it has been. Oh, and my price came in a lot higher than your capacitor. (But much better than I thought for a new furnace/AC. Now I just have to wait about a week.

SnwMnkys

Wonder if you have a short somewhere causing the breaker to trip. I can understand the capacitor going out because it happens frequently enough. But the fact that its tripping now with a bigger capacitor in when its probably been running fine for years with the the original sized one is odd. Vibration from the unit might cause a wire to move just enough for it to short. But Im just spit balling.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
The tech said something about the new capacitor being a 45 amp unit but my breaker is a 40 amp. One side of that 40 is getting hot after cycling it back on. Think I should swap in a 50 amp breaker?

No. your compressor is drawing more power than it should. if you go to a bigger breaker, you are just searching for the next weakest link, which may be your wires. I bet the compressor is going bad, and not the capacitor as previously thought.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
No. your compressor is drawing more power than it should. if you go to a bigger breaker, you are just searching for the next weakest link, which may be your wires. I bet the compressor is going bad, and not the capacitor as previously thought.
I don't want you to be right, but I feel like you are.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
When breakers trip a number of times, they tend to trip easier - they wear out. Try installing a new breakrr of the same capacity, maybe that will keep your AC running. Cheap and easy fix if it works.
I agree, and that's what I'll do while waiting for the tech to come back. It seems to be tripping more often now.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Another tech is supposed to be here at 1-2 pm. If I have to get a new AC compressor installed, I may as well go for an entirely new unit. I know the R22 refrigerant in my current unit is obsolete.

Is Trane still the king of quality in this area?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Another tech is supposed to be here at 1-2 pm. If I have to get a new AC compressor installed, I may as well go for an entirely new unit. I know the R22 refrigerant in my current unit is obsolete.

Is Trane still the king of quality in this area?

We ended up with a Coleman system. I wasn't real happy about that but my wife did some research and thought it was a good system. I'd prefer a Lennox, Trane, York, etc but ....

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
We ended up with a Coleman system. I wasn't real happy about that but my wife did some research and thought it was a good system. I'd prefer a Lennox, Trane, York, etc but ....
I had a Trane put in at my last house. The quality difference was massive compared to my current unit. It's just a "Builder grade" unit.

rholbrook

2 yrs ago mine went out. Luckily, this is what my family does so I got a screaming deal and one of my nephews installed it. My sister in laws went last year and she got bids of over $10K. I think I was in the $3500 range installed for everything.

I went with the 2nd highest level rated 5 ton unit. I didn't go with the best one because the payback wasn't soon enough for me but my electrical bill literally is half as much in the summer as it used to be. My AC actually shuts off when its over 90 degrees outside which it never had before. I replaced everything though, heater, coil, and AC unit outside.

Brad J

I think that we are at about 14 years on our Coleman outdoor AC unit. I was worried since they only seem to be known for making Coolers, Tents & Sleeping bags but we've been happy. We did have the Capacitor go out last Summer and the Freon got topped off. The original Outdoor AC unit was only about 6 years old when it went out. Course it could have been a Capacitor and we fell for needing a new Outdoor AC unit.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I think that we are at about 14 years on our Coleman outdoor AC unit. I was worried since they only seem to be known for making Coolers, Tents & Sleeping bags but we've been happy. We did have the Capacitor go out last Summer and the Freon got topped off. The original Outdoor AC unit was only about 6 years old when it went out. Course it could have been a Capacitor and we fell for needing a new Outdoor AC unit.

Good to hear! I wondered if we got a free lantern or stove or something?

SnwMnkys

2 yrs ago mine went out. Luckily, this is what my family does so I got a screaming deal and one of my nephews installed it. My sister in laws went last year and she got bids of over $10K. I think I was in the $3500 range installed for everything.

I went with the 2nd highest level rated 5 ton unit. I didn't go with the best one because the payback wasn't soon enough for me but my electrical bill literally is half as much in the summer as it used to be. My AC actually shuts off when its over 90 degrees outside which it never had before. I replaced everything though, heater, coil, and AC unit outside.

5 ton AC unit? You must have a massive main/ 2nd floor if you really have that big of a system.

Last edited:

SnwMnkys

All the brands fall under a parent company. Just like home appliances.

It looks like Coleman is owned by UPG who also owns York and Luxaire.

Carrier, Bryant, Payne, were all owned by the same parent company. Day & Night is now under them as well.

Stay away from Goodman equipment. I can show first hand their quality or lack there of compared to everyone elses.

I think Trane is one of the only odd ducks. I remember a professor in school saying they use a different style of compressor compared to everyone else. So you cant just go buy a replacement compressor that may of fit 10 different brands. You have to buy a Trane compressor. But I may be wrong.