Any river kyakers out there?

sixstringsteve

I know, Emotion doesn't have much in the way of touring kayaks. I just have a contact who works for them and I can get them extremely cheap. But they might not end up being what I need anyway, so maybe I'll hold off on purchasing one for a while.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I agree. I like the storage areas for multi-day trips and the bulk heads for buoyancy. Maybe just a Touring on the short side. 14ft or so.

I think unless you're really good at packing light, the canoe is a better option for multinight trips. Pack like this:

9e8af29b.jpg

And you eat like this. :)

49eaf047.jpg

sixstringsteve

If you don't mind, see what he'd charge to rent 'em out to a group of us, that would be a blast.

Apart from the green, are there any other mild (below class 1.5) rivers that offer multi-day camping?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
My friend has a trailer full of yaks and we take them out on Pineview and Causey. A river touring run would be a blast!

If you don't mind, see what he'd charge to rent 'em out to a group of us, that would be a blast.

In.

Apart from the green, are there any other mild (below class 1.5) rivers that offer multi-day camping?

The San Juan through the Little Grand Canyon is supposed to be an excellent float in the spring, but water levels get pretty low after the runoff subsides. The Dirty Devil is a nasty muddy sloggy bugfest from everything I've read, stay away.

Does it have to be a river? Kayaking/canoeing the canyons of Powell or Flaming Gorge would be fun.

Rock Taco

I think unless you're really good at packing light, the canoe is a better option for multinight trips. Pack like this:

9e8af29b.jpg

49eaf047.jpg

I'll just make sure to invite you along so I dont have to carry all of that stuff myself! lol

Seriously if we are going as a group then we can spread the load between all us and not have to take as much. Besides I'm only thinking 2-3 days and I have reserves!

sixstringsteve

9e8af29b.jpg

49eaf047.jpg

ah, now I see why you're so into canoes. There's no way I could carry all that in a kayak. I can guarantee I won't be eating as well as you.

Does it have to be a river? Kayaking/canoeing the canyons of Powell or Flaming Gorge would be fun.

I prefer rivers over lakes, but a lake trip isn't out of the question, especially if it has some good narrows to explore.

sixstringsteve

Bringing this back up. I'm going to be ordering a couple inflatable kayaks this week. We're doing a trip down the green river through Moab in May and it's time to get a boat.

I'm 99% sure I'm going to be getting the Sea Eagle Fast Track. I was thinking about trying to get a sweeter price with a group buy if anyone else is interested.

sixstringsteve

My wife and I ended up getting some tributary sawtooth inflatable kayaks from steepandcheap.com at a killer price. We're going to be testing them out Friday night if anyone wants to join. We're looking for some fun places to kayak. We're thinking the jordan river, or maybe tibble fork or Utah Lake. Anyone with a boat is welcome to join us for an hour or two on the water.

jentzschman

Sounds fun Steve. I have not been kayaking since I was in scouts.

Costco received their kayaks a few days ago. They have a double and a single seater. I do not know the price off the top of my head, but I will get some pics and prices if anyone is interested.

sixstringsteve

from lifetime's website:

"One of the most common questions you’ll hear in the kayak industry is “should I get a sit-on-top or a sit-inside kayak”? This is one of the first decisions you need to make when buying a kayak. The truth is, the decision to get a sit-on-top or a sit-inside kayak will be based mostly on personal preference though there are some other factors to consider, as well. But to get started, lets talk about the differences between these two models.

Sit-Inside Kayaks

Sit-insides, or SIS for short, are the more traditional looking kayak like the Lifetime Payette Kayak . These have an open cockpit where the paddler climbs in and actually sits inside the hull of the kayak with his legs under the deck. Depending on the kayak's design, this style allows you to brace your knees off the inside walls of the hull to help with strong and more efficient paddle strokes. Many sit-insides are also able to take a skirt. Skirts are designed to close or cover the cockpit opening in a sit-inside kayak. The paddler wears the skirt around his or her waist. There is a cloth piece with a tightening mechanism that allows the paddler to sit down in the kayak and stretch the skirt material around the **** pit rim, closing off the inside of the hull. This is great for cold weather paddling or for an area that has chilly water. It will keep water from splashing into the kayak and onto the paddler 's legs. For this reason, sit-insides are more popular in cold water areas, or areas that have a shorter summer season. In general, you will get less wet in a sit-inside than on a sit-on-top, barring that you don’t flip your kayak over. If you do flip your kayak over, you will have to swim (or submerged paddle) your kayak to shore to drain it out.
Flipping a kayak over is much harder to do than you think. Many people are apprehensive about SIS because of the “flipping factor”. Truthfully, it really is not easy to flip your kayak over. Most recreational kayaks like Lifetime kayaks are made to be stable. Whether sit-on-top or sit-inside, the flipping factor will have more to do with kayak design and the shape of the hull than it being a sit-on-top or sit-inside. And don’t worry, if you do happen to flip it over, you will not get stuck. The paddler will pop immediately out of the kayak and to the water surface.

Sit-on-Top Kayaks

Sit-on-tops, or SOTs for short, are quickly gaining in popularity. This style, like the Lifetime Lotus and Monterey, allows the paddler to sit on top of the kayak deck. There is not an “inside” that can be inhabited by the paddler. The only access, if any, to the inside of the kayak will be through storage hatch openings. Everything from the footwells to the seat back will be rigged on to the actual deck of the kayak. It is much harder to stay dry paddling a SOT. With each wave, riffle or splash the paddler gets increasingly more wet. There is no cockpit or deck area to stop water from splashing up onto the paddler’s body. Because of this, SOTs are extremely popular in warm weather and tropical areas. Another reason these kayaks are great for warm weather is because it is easy to slide into the water for a quick swim and climb back into the kayak. Unlike a sit-inside kayak, you can re-enter your SOT from the water. It won’t be graceful, but you can pull yourself back up onto the deck of your SOT and reposition yourself for paddling. For a slightly drier ride, you can get scupper plugs. Scupper plugs will cover the self-bailing drain holes found on SOT kayaks. The purpose of the scupper hole is to allow water that splashes on to the deck to drain back out and not pool underneath the paddler. Blocking these holes will keep tiny splashes from coming up from underwater through the holes but it will keep any water that makes its way onto the deck from draining back out."

sixstringsteve

I was never concerned about flipping over or being stuck in a kayak, so I always wanted a sit inside kayak. Plus they appear to keep your gear dryer and they appear to store more stuff down in the hatches. I also like how low you sit in them.

That being said, I bought an inflatable sit-on-top. The ability to transport it in my miata makes it pretty appealing.

sixstringsteve

man, who knew newegg sold kayaks? I sure didn't.

When I was looking at hardshells, I wanted a 14-17' boat with multiple storage hatches for my camping gear.