Any wordworkers out there willing to help a brother out?

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
It's really no trouble. I hate not seeing a project through to completion. The offer stands if you want to finish it up with the right tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

To be honest, I should have just bought an outback set of drawers from Kurt. I'll probably have close to $400/500 into this thing when I'm done, and over 50-60 hours. It's been a fun project though, and hanging out at moab_CJ5s house has been tons of fun. I've learned a lot more about carpentry too, which is great.

Outback doesn't make a kit specifically for my van, but their big one would fit just fine and I'd just have to make the wings. The good thing about my drawers is that they're the exact dimensions I want. This thing is WAY bigger than it looks in the pics. 4' wide, 6' deep, 14" tall. I should be able to fit several small action packers in each drawer when I'm done. I'll also have a slide-out tray for the bikes, which will be cool. There is a TON of storage in there.

I've been filming the whole process, I'm just slow on editing it (I have to decide whether to edit every night, or work on the drawers). It's been more work than I imagined, but it's been a good project to keep me busy. It hasn't been super difficult, provided you have the right tools. I like the way the outback drawers use metal, which saves you space. My plywood is 3/4" thick, my slides are 1" thick, which really cuts into the usable space.

All in all, it's been fun. I'm trying to get it wrapped up before my Moab bike trip, but I'm not sure that's going to be possible. Fingers crossed I get a lot done this weekend.

sixstringsteve

Wow. Overkill much on the bearings?

You want to see overkill? Check this out:

20150401_162110_zpsk0de3cm4.jpg

From here:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/141088-Truck-Bed-Storage-System?p=1815389#post1815389

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
To be honest, I should have just bought an outback set of drawers from Kurt. I'll probably have close to $400/500 into this thing when I'm done, and over 50-60 hours. It's been a fun project though, and hanging out at moab_CJ5s house has been tons of fun. I've learned a lot more about carpentry too, which is great.

Outback doesn't make a kit specifically for my van, but their big one would fit just fine and I'd just have to make the wings. The good thing about my drawers is that they're the exact dimensions I want. This thing is WAY bigger than it looks in the pics. 4' wide, 6' deep, 14" tall. I should be able to fit several small action packers in each drawer when I'm done. I'll also have a slide-out tray for the bikes, which will be cool. There is a TON of storage in there.

I've been filming the whole process, I'm just slow on editing it (I have to decide whether to edit every night, or work on the drawers). It's been more work than I imagined, but it's been a good project to keep me busy. It hasn't been super difficult, provided you have the right tools. I like the way the outback drawers use metal, which saves you space. My plywood is 3/4" thick, my slides are 1" thick, which really cuts into the usable space.

All in all, it's been fun. I'm trying to get it wrapped up before my Moab bike trip, but I'm not sure that's going to be possible. Fingers crossed I get a lot done this weekend.

If you want it done before that trip, another good day/ night and I'm sure we can wrap it up. I'm excited to see it done so I can look at something for my GX on a much smaller scale.

sixstringsteve

I'm excited to see it done too. :)

I think I'm going to finish the top slide tonight. That's the goal at least.

Rather than drilling a million holes in my steel bars, I'm thinking self-tapping metal screws might work. It looks like that's what everyone else is doing too. Ideas?

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I'm excited to see it done too. :)

I think I'm going to finish the top slide tonight. That's the goal at least.

Rather than drilling a million holes in my steel bars, I'm thinking self-tapping metal screws might work. It looks like that's what everyone else is doing too. Ideas?

That could work spaced close enough to support the weight.

RogueJeepr

Here!
At work we just took out a huge pair of metal drawers out of a former government vehicle to make way for 3rd row seating.

Sent from my Z740 using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

I've been slacking on this. I need to kick it into gear. I've been building a shelf for my fridge and hemming and hawing about where to put it. I just need to wire up the fridge, then I'll be back on this project.

I welded some nuts inside the end of each bar, so I could bolt the drawer face to each bar. Total overkill, but it'll make it all super solid. I wish I had time to edit the videos in real-time, but unfortunately the videos won't come for another month or two.