Anybody interested on building on an acre in Bluffdale?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I have friends and family and I enjoy attending cultural events, so Bluffdale rules me out. ;)

This is perhaps a stupid question, but my brother just built a huge house out in the corner of Herriman, and I just don't understand the draw. If you want to live 45 minutes from the city, why would you deal with all of the traffic, generic box homes, and chain restaurants out there (which is only getting worse) when Heber/Midway/Coalville/Wanship/Kamas/Oakley is a similar drive with less of the afformentioned shittyness? Is land substantially more expensive on the East side of the mountains because it's not in such close proximity to the toxic wastelands of Kennecot?

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I have friends and family and I enjoy attending cultural events, so Bluffdale rules me out. ;)

This is perhaps a stupid question, but my brother just built a huge house out in the corner of Herriman, and I just don't understand the draw. If you want to live 45 minutes from the city, why would you deal with all of the traffic, generic box homes, and chain restaurants out there (which is only getting worse) when Heber/Midway/Coalville/Wanship/Kamas/Oakley is a similar drive with less of the afformentioned shittyness? Is land substantially more expensive on the East side of the mountains because it's not in such close proximity to the toxic wastelands of Kennecot?

Ironically, I say the same thing all the time about areas like sugar house. Why would you pay $400k-900k to live in a tiny old house, with no yard, tons of traffic, and near crime central when you can pay that price and have a huge house, huge yard, and fewer bums on the corners..
Who needs to live closer to the city, if you don’t work in that sewage infested stink hole?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I spend most of my time out West and avoid going into Salt Lake Shitty. Different strokes for different folks.

pELYgroso

'Merica
Bluffdale isn't my first choice but the area seems nice and while Bluffdale is going to explode once the prison is gone, this particular area is zoned for no smaller than 1 acre lots, so it won't get too congested with people. I'm in a great area of Lehi and I love my house but it is getting so busy around here and it's only getting (much) busier.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Ironically, I say the same thing all the time about areas like sugar house. Why would you pay $400k-900k to live in a tiny old house, with no yard, tons of traffic, and near crime central when you can pay that price and have a huge house, huge yard, and fewer bums on the corners..
Who needs to live closer to the city, if you don’t work in that sewage infested stink hole?

I guess it's different strokes. I like being around events and culture. I like to go to the art festival, jazz festival, pride festival, concerts, unique restaurants etc. I like to go to the parks and be surrounded by diverse people...it literally makes me smile to see so many people from different backgrounds coexisting and enjoying themselves. I prefer older style homes with character vs stucko stick homes with vinyl fences. I like to ride my bike around in the summer to concerts/events/restaurants/bars etc. The worst traffic in the valley is easily the westbound traffic heading to Herriman/WJ/WV/Kearns after work. Don't get me wrong, I get the draw of a big new nice house with a big new nice yard and I get that there are lots of people that want that, but I enjoy most of the things outside of my home more than inside of my home. I can't recall smelling sewage very often..or ever really. The Alpaca farm behind my brother's house sure does smell like Alpaca shit though ;)

If I ever move 45 minutes from the city, I certainly will do it to get away from traffic, crowds, and the air. I can deal with crowds when I'm in the mood, but I've never sucked in a breath of this dirty air or spent a minute in a traffic jam and thought "this is a nice experience".

Seemed like a decent deal... we’ve been in just shy of 4 months now and I still have wishy washy thoughts of being super pleased with our decision or feeling like I made a huge mistake... Time will tell, especially if I get the shop in that I want.
We looked at lots in Riverton less than a mile away that were the same price or more for a half acre or less, so that helped solidify our decision.

Cascadia

Undecided
Is this for standard quality stuff (formica, vinyl, fiberglass tub, etc) or better quality.. Granite, tile/wood floors, marble shower, etc..?
This price is for granite, tile/wood floors, tile shower, master jetted tub, nice handrails, nice appliances, upgraded carpet (so you don’t have to replace it in 3 years), fireplace, zone ready hvac, etc. I’ve never dealt with linoleum or formica or that type of stuff. I wouldn’t even know who to call.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
This price is for granite, tile/wood floors, tile shower, master jetted tub, nice handrails, nice appliances, upgraded carpet (so you don’t have to replace it in 3 years), fireplace, zone ready hvac, etc. I’ve never dealt with linoleum or formica or that type of stuff. I wouldn’t even know who to call.

That's super interesting actually. Do you have geographical limitations to where you'll build? Do you have a set of different designs people can choose from and modify? Say someone wanted something kinda unique, would that be something that could be incorporated?

Last question, do you deal with many big high end rich people fancy homes? Especially super rich people "vacation" type homes? If not do you know anyone in the industry that does? I've had an idea swimming in my giant cranium for years and I've always wanted to sit down with a high end home builder and see if it's something that might be mutually beneficial.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Last question, do you deal with many big high end rich people fancy homes? Especially super rich people "vacation" type homes? If not do you know anyone in the industry that does? I've had an idea swimming in my giant cranium for years and I've always wanted to sit down with a high end home builder and see if it's something that might be mutually beneficial.

OH man, a house shaped like your head would be amazing! Think of all that floors space!

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
We are planning the other end of the spectrum. It seems we spend 2 nights plus a week downtown. Have no kids, so schools arent an issue. We work closer to down town and want to enjoy the things downtown. Public transportation etc.

pELYgroso

'Merica
I've mentally closed the door on this deal at this point. Not enough meat on the bones once the land is developed. Realistically, I'd be dumb to move. I just built our house 2 years ago pretty much exactly how I want it. Instead of the typical 3rd car garage, I did an oversized 4th car garage with 16' ceilings leaving room for a 10x23' loft area "man cave" which I built last year. The house layout is great, I have a giant driveway with RV and utility trailer parking, super low maintenance landscaping, large barkdust play area sectioned off from the yard....BUT, I'm just kind of crazy. It would take a deal that I couldn't pass up in reality, to "make me" move. The ONLY reason that we're casually looking for that deal, is that Lehi just isn't the quiet area that it was when I moved here 12 years (4 houses) ago and it's only exploding at this point, faster than ever.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Since Cody owned a Jeep G C he can't be all bad. We bought a 8 year old home 2 years ago in Riverton. Since Joan is 83 and I am 87 our 4000 sq ft 1 floor and basement house with 3 car garage on 1/2 acre is great for us. We live upstairs and rent basement but had to spend another bunch of bucks to meet our requirements. I am still putting in shelves and lapidary equipment in garage. Church is 5 houses down the street, Hospital is one mile, all kinds of stores and food places, Family History Center is 3 miles away, we get to watch the sheep spring, summer and fall with no flies or smell.
Bottom line; It is too expensive to live in the Salt Lake Valley unless you own your own home.
pELYgroso: What you are looking at in Bluffdale is too expensive and you have a great home now. Enjoy it.