Anybody use the tru speed?

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Does anybody have any experience with the tru speed speedometer calibrater or a similar device, need to adjust the speedo on my 01 ford SD.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
on a 01 sd you could take it back to the dealer and ahve them adjust it on the chip... or you can get a hypertech tuner and do it that way... the truspeed was for those cars that can't be adjusted by the chip.... I looked into it at one time for my 98 Expedition due to it can't be ajusted with tuners but found out that the Ford Dealership can do it for you...

Contact 78 highboy on here... he works in the service department of champion Ford dealership on 90th and just off the freeway...

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I was going to say about the same thing... But as for the tru speeds, they work and are easy to install. The nice thing abou them is they have a switch to run two sizes of tires without re calibrating your speedo each time you change tires (highway to trail tires, for example).

I was going to put one on my rig with the upgrade, but believe it or not, my speedo is only 3 mph off with 39's and 5.13's. Before with 35's and 4.88's it was over 15 mph fast!! The Jeep dealer could not do anything about it. The biggest the Rubicon is allowed is 33's and 4.56 gears.

If you go this way, I am a dealer for Superlift, Hypertech, etc. ;)

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Ford can only compensate for a 35 inch tire, I need it for 37's. Can you shoot me a price wayne for the truspeed

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
the difference between a 35 and 37 is negligible; so, take get them to take you to a 35, and then sit down and pencil it, once you get that initial number, actually about 6% I think off the top of my head, multiply it out, 60 will be 63.6, 70 -74.2, or just run the posted on the speedo, and know that you are slightly frying it, but not enuff to get ticketed.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
the difference between a 35 and 37 is negligible; so, take get them to take you to a 35, and then sit down and pencil it, once you get that initial number, actually about 6% I think off the top of my head, multiply it out, 60 will be 63.6, 70 -74.2, or just run the posted on the speedo, and know that you are slightly frying it, but not enuff to get ticketed.

The only problem with it being off in the fast direction, is the miles click away faster than otherwise and it causes your warranty to expire sooner than it should :D

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
We will see if I need it, I'm mainly looking at it to help my trans shift better when my chip arrives:cool:

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
miles would click away in the slow direction if it was corrected for 35, and he ran 37, or in other words, he would show 60 k, say, and have 66k actual, thereby prolonging his warranty in essence.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
miles would click away in the slow direction if it was corrected for 35, and he ran 37, or in other words, he would show 60 k, say, and have 66k actual, thereby prolonging his warranty in essence.

No warranty guys. I'm used to the difference in the speedometer, I would just get it to help the trans. The guy that is doing my chip said to see if I like it without and then buy it later if needed, we will see next week

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
I am confused how changing the speedo reading helps the trans? Unless it changes shift points? that would seem to be more of a chip thing, not a speedo reprogram, educate me please.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I am confused how changing the speedo reading helps the trans? Unless it changes shift points? that would seem to be more of a chip thing, not a speedo reprogram, educate me please.

What I have been told by the fors guys is that on the Super duties, the shift points are more based on speed and throttle input rather then rpms. Therefore bigger tires- equals different rpms and mph readings- equals different performance.:)

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
What I have been told by the fors guys is that on the Super duties, the shift points are more based on speed and throttle input rather then rpms. Therefore bigger tires- equals different rpms and mph readings- equals different performance.:)

That's correct, too.

And whom did you get the chip from, it wasn't me -_-

ewander

I have the tru speed and use it on my cherokee. It has worked great from the start and was super easy to install. At the time I bought mine it was a little pricy though....I think prices have come down now.