Anybody with hot water heater knowledge?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
So I've got a hot water heater that the pilot light keeps going out on, swapped the thermocoupler on it and it doesn't appear to have helped, If it's cold I can light the pilot, it heats up and then goes out sometime after I've moved on to other things. Tonight I let it cycle and then tried to light the pilot while it was still hot and it appears the pilot light won't stay lit after I let go of the button when it's hot. What to look at next? Am I looking at the gas control valve? Possibly the valve is thinking it's getting to hot and killing the pilot? Going to try turning down the temperature, anyone have any other ideas?

Swap out this next? http://www.amazon.com/Bradford-Whit...r0&keywords=bradford+white+gas+pressure+valve

Last edited:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Any water in there? I had one recently where a pinhole in the tank was leaking down and putting out the pilot.

I don't see any water leaking, the thermocoupler/pilot light are both dry. I really like my water heater, it heats up fast and I rarely run out of hot water even with 4 girls, I think I'm going to buy a new valve and see if that fixes it.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I had a similar problem in mine. Below the thermocouple there was a little plastic screen that allows oxygen to pass through. Mine had been gummed up by some stuff over time, and wouldn't allow air into there. I cleaned that up and it worked fine. 2 minute fix for me.