Anyone have an Android TV?

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Ha ha, I don't think that would happen. This market packs that arena and really supports the team. There are other teams that would go there before Utah.

New Orleans, I'm looking at you.
I'll bet you a beer the Jazz are in Vegas by 2030. The only way I see that changing is if they win a championship.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Vegas and Seattle are likely to get expansion teams. The Jazz are doing quite well in Utah
But they could do better in Vegas.

Look, I get it. The Jazz are "Utah's Team". But once Larry Miller died the clock started ticking for the Jazz to leave. And it kicked into overdrive when Gail went back on her promise to keep the Jazz here forever by pulling the team from the family trust and selling it to Ryan Smith.

Sports teams are businesses. And like all businesses, their owners want to maximize profits. Larry Miller was a shrewd businessman for sure, but he was also a bit of an oddity in that he indulged his passions a lot. Thats why he built Miller Motorsports Park and, more importantly, thats why he bought and kept the Jazz here. The current owners are not those types of businessmen.

Las Vegas wants an NBA team. And yes, the Jazz sell out games in Salt Lake. But they'd also sell out games in Vegas and be able to charge four times as much! Plus, Las Vegas and the state of Nevada will happily build them a state of the art billion dollar stadium on the taxpayer dime, which isn't going to happen here.

Why the Jazz and not an expansion team? Why the A's and not an MLB expansion team? Name recognition. You have a built in fan base thats willing to be loyal no matter where the team goes. Look at the Raiders. And by snagging the Jazz, many of those long time fans are just a few hours away. Plus you get the rich history of the Jazz that you can continue to exploit. You don't get that with an expansion team or the New Orleans Pelicans.

Finally, the NBA is not what it used to be. Players are businesses in and of themselves. These guys aren't just happy to be getting paid to play basketball, they're looking to maximize their earning potential through sponsorship deals and endorsements. The Utah Jazz are not the team for that because our market is not large enough or exciting enough for people outside the region. The Las Vegas Jazz, thats a whole other ball game! You put the team in Vegas, the owners will be able to recruit top talent that they can't get now.

That's just my wholly armature observation of the situation, and I could be wrong, but I think its a pretty solid bet to say that by the end of the decade the Jazz will be in Vegas.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
We'll have to see if they move? I would bet there WILL be an NBA team in Vegas and in Seattle within 3-10 years. I'd have to have some pretty ridiculous odds to bet on it being the Jazz in Vegas. Possible but I think unlikely.

Ryan Smith has the $ to keep the team here as long as he'd want to. Giving up $ and airing the games on KJZZ is a pretty interesting step. Likely not in the teams best financial interests (I would bet they have a strategy going there) in the short term but I would assume there's something longer term in the works that isn't quite pinned down (Likely the NBA taking over all broadcast rights and putting teams on the NBA channel for streaming or other consumption?). Super interesting times in the broadcast and print media these days. It's just starting to affect sports as they've been isolated due to the live content and exclusive availability.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Don't forget, we once were the New Orleans (Jazz/Pelicans)...
Different franchises. The Utah Jazz were the New Orleans Jazz from 1974 - 1979 when they relocated to Salt Lake. They even played a few games in 1979 - 1980 in Las Vegas because they wanted to test the market. The New Orleans Pelicans were originally the Charlotte Hornets until 2002 when the franchise relocated.

Pile of parts

Yes, I know the Pelicans and New Orleans Jazz have nothing to do with each other. I guess I'm just agreeing that anything is possible. It's just business and the Jazz, who were once New Orleans' team, could certainly be the Las Vegas Jazz. Just as the Charlotte Hornets are Pelicans now.

It would be sad to lose them but I really don't care either. Too much money for playing a game and I'm tired of sports being a political soapbox instead of entertainment to take our minds off the day to day.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I will never support the NBA personally. For those that want a different perspective, check out the story of Enes Kanter. I learned about him on the Mike Rowe Podcast and had to do a bit of digging. Check out https://mikerowe.com/podcast/ episode 314. You can get more info here:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I don't care at all about basketball but am happy Papa Smith is spending money for RSL. Two signings this year that are both spending records. First was three mil and the second is reported at around 6 mil. Thats just for the rights to the player, salary is on top of that. Reports say there is another big player that is coming to town this week for a physical and barring issues there he will be signed as well. Keep it coming Papa.

As far as viewing soccer games and MLS goes I wouldn't be surprised if other leagues transition to a similar set up. Apple paid 2.5 billion for 10 years. They essentially broadcast the feed but MLS does the cameras and production stuff to get it ready to be broadcast. Apple charges a monthly fee ($6.99, or you can pay a lower yearly amount) to watch ALL MLS games and they offer a few games free each week on their platform. To watch the games you need a device that will work with the Apple+ app or a web browser. So that could be a smart tv, an AppleTV, or whatever. Apparently once subscriptions reach a certain threshold then the money is divided between Apple and MLS.

The big thing here is that you can log in to Apple and watch the games anywhere in the world. So if you live in Argentina and want to watch Leonal Messi when he plays his first game for Miami on July 21 you'll be able to pay your $6.99 a month and watch Leo get injured by bad tackles in real time.

It would be harder for the NBA to make a blanket deal like this since each team is owned separately but if the money is there I think it could work. (MLS is single entity so they have greater say on specific deals and ownership.)

At the least, I think its interesting to consider how a TV deal like this *could* work for the NBA but we'll see.

I'm also on team "Jazz will never leave Utah". I don't even think vegas will be inhabitable in 10 years, heck, it isn't now.

Evolved

Less-Known Member
Too much money for playing a game and I'm tired of sports being a political soapbox instead of entertainment to take our minds off the day to day.
These are highly skilled people that have dedicated their lives to their craft. No different than an actor, surgeon, musician, or an artist. Put an average Joe on the court with a 3rd string bench player in the NBA and see how that works out. Do I think they are over paid, sure. That's because I am not in their shoes or making their money. In the end you are talking about 15-20 people in the entire league that have a big enough following to make any sort of a statement. Compare that to social media millionaires or someone like ex TV show host Joe Rogan, all he brings to the table is an opinion.

I just think it's funny when people point out how over paid professional athletes are. I would much rather see someone make millions that have worked their entire life to be where they are vs some parent exploiting their kids on YouTube or some chick shaking her ass on OF or Instagram.

Having worked either FOR the Jazz or WITH the Jazz for almost 25 years, I would say the team/ownership would have to severely tank the next 7 seasons to not be profitable and leave SLC by 2030. Sure the grass may be greener, but is it?

I think the only reason I replied here is this hits home. These over paid athletes are what keeps a roof over my head, food in my families stomachs and clothes on their back. There are a LOT of people that make that engine go and without the players, we would all be out of a job (even down to the custodian that has worked at Vivint, ESA, Delta Center for over 30 years - True story).

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I think people look at it the wrong way, they simplify it down to some guy bouncing a ball and say I could do that. If you could do that would you object to the salary? If someone wanted to throw big $ at you would you turn it down? As a guy that doesn't own a business I don't have any problem with businesses over-paying their employees. If anyone wants to over pay let me know...

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Maybe they can attract better talent to Vegas for all of the vegasy reasons. But Vegas as a metro market is like half the size of the wasatch front, and the Jazz are the biggest fish in the pond. In Vegas they'd just be at best 2nd best and probably 3rd if you account for the draw of everything else in Vegas. Baseball isn't a draw anywhere anymore, and hockey has a passionate fan base, but it's not as big as the NBA or NFL.

I still don't think the Jazz would leave. They would have to be doing poorly, or Ryan Smith would have to demonstrate to the league that this city isn't doing what it needs to do to support the success of a team (like building a stadium or something) for the league to approve of that move. Have any of the other franchise moves in the NBA been done even when the city is supporting the franchise or without the franchise severely struggling to remain profitable?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
...... Have any of the other franchise moves in the NBA been done even when the city is supporting the franchise or without the franchise severely struggling to remain profitable?

No. Sonics to OKC would be about the only precedent but the Sonics were not selling well due to an "old" arena. Owner sold. New owner promised to keep Sonics in Seattle. 2-3 years later... OKC Thunder and no Sonics. Not sure how the NBA board of governors approved that but whatever.

Grizzlies move from Vancouver. Probably a good one.

Charlotte to New Orleans. Debatably good but still...

Expansion team in Charlotte followed shortly.

I think you need to go back a ways (long ways?) to get into Clippers, Hawks, Kings, etc moves?