Anyone have experience with patents?

STAG

On my grind
Anyone have real-world experience with filing for a utility patent? From what I can see it looks like you have to use a registered patent attorney.

Wondering if anyone “has a guy”.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I know a patent attorney. I think he mostly does tech stuff. He codes so we've mostly talked about computers rather than patent stuff.

I can reach out if you want me to.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I’d like to add an idea, I thought of this morning around 3am.

A 3d printed gun to decapitate the ducks people leave on your jeep.

Feel free to add this to your patent.
iu

STAG

On my grind
Be sure to include all RME members as beneficiaries if you strike it rich!
I don’t expect at all for this to strike me rich.

However I just don’t want it to strike someone else as rich due to my design.

I need to get manufacturing costs down for sure, as what I have designed definitely is on the “higher end” of what’s out there, both in perspective of performance and cost.

But I’m sure even many of you may be interested in one:)

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I sent him a message and he says he would be happy to talk to you about it. When I get his office number I'll send it over to you.

STAG

On my grind
So I’ve 3D printed a full-sized “working proof of concept”. For proprietary reasons I can’t show you the rest of it yet, but I can show you one of the “accessories” for it 🤔. I’ve printed it in PETG and I’m curious if the plastic version is stout enough to bend copper tubing. I have to buy some bolts for it and then I’m going to give it a try.

092E10B3-F4D1-4EDE-B9C1-4F01CBF170C5.jpeg

50A0B4A3-A3FB-4520-A9FD-21AC6B19AF1A.jpeg

The_Lobbster

Interested to see how the rest of it looks because that looks almost identical to the die of a 7/8” (1”OD) HVAC bender.

Looks like the radius is larger though.

I bet the plastic will hold up fine, most benders use plastic dies.

IMG_8461.jpeg

IMG_8460.jpeg

STAG

On my grind
The way I have it engineered it definitely should be able to do heavy wall steel tubing for rollcages etc. Currently it is set up designed to be rotary compression, but it wouldn’t be hard to change to rotary draw down the line if ever wanted to add provisions for a mandrel.

A few notes about it;

-can bend 180° in one shot, no “resetting” a hydraulic ram or lever multiple times to get any angle of bend you desire.

-simple CNC controlled. Punch in the angle you want the bend and hit go. Also, of course there’s momentary push buttons for “sneaking up” on your desired angle. Then a 1-button push for “homing” the dies.

— I’m also open to ideas for what any of you would want in a bender, or what you don’t like about the benders you have now that you wish was different. That’s how I started this project; I had things about my JD2 model 4 bender that I was not happy about and created this with those problems eliminated.

STAG

On my grind
Interesting video I watched this morning. I’m working on completion of the metal version of the bender and I’m almost thinking not worry about the patent stuff.

I agree with this video that I’m likely not going to be able to have the mental capacity or financial backing to really pursue any kind of patent infringement if one ever did occur.

That would also help keep the final price of the benders down as I wouldn’t have to distribute patent costs into the price.

STAG

On my grind
So, the stepper motor for my prototype bender came today.

Here it is compared to a stepper motor off my plasma table.

NEMA 42 vs NEMA 23. The NEMA 42 weighs a little over 24lbs 🤯

2E3FCA8D-5A67-4B39-BCC7-E84CDD3CEDB5.jpeg
4CA52018-8311-4C11-93F6-46A131BF4A39.jpeg

@I_lean has seen a demo of the software control system in action. Hopefully I get things buttoned up quick enough to show the rest of you some bends here shortly 😎

That is a 3/4” diameter output shaft.

Last edited: