Anyone into XC Skiing?

sixstringsteve

I'm looking for a new winter sport. I absolutely love snowboarding except for the outrageous price of lift tickets/passes, and the amount of time it takes to get out on a regular basis. I don't enjoy hitting the gym. I like racing BMX in the winter, but XC Skiing is sounding pretty appealing. Anyone into it? What gear do I need? Is it good cardio? Where are the best places to ski? I'm hoping AF Canyon has some good nordic routes up above Tibble Fork.

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
Get snowshoes, pack your board. Snowshoeing is awesome, xc skiing sucks. Some people dig it, but xc skis flop all over the place and don't allow you to go up or down hills very well. Snowshoes are fun, easy, and more versatile in my opinion.

sixstringsteve

Good suggestion, maybe I'll rent some snowshoes as well. I don't enjoy hiking, and I assume snowshoeing will be like hiking, only more work. I'll give it a shot though. Do you guys wear waterproof pants when you showshoe/xc ski, or just athletic pants? How much snow gets up between your knees and ankles?

sibeta

I cross country ski quite a bit. There is a trail up AF canyon that they actually groom and set classis tracks(2 tracks set in the snow by a snow machine for classic style skiers.). I cant remember the name of the parking lot pull off but its about 3 miles up the canyon from the ranger pay station at the botton of the canyon. It's a great workout. More and more classic skiers are moving to Skate Skiing. Skate skiing is more techinical and you move a lot quicker than the classic style. I am up in SLC but Mountain Dell golf course gets groomed and track set as well as Millcreek Canyon. I spend alot of time in Big Cottonwood canyon on x-skis and they work great even when there are no groomed trails.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

great info sibeta, thanks. I'll have to research the difference between skate skiing and classic. Is the equipment different, or just the technique? Also, how long does it take to learn enough to enjoy a trail? How much ground do you cover in an hour?

richpblaze

I am a telemarker (X-country skiing downhill) add a set of skins and walk up the mountain. Take them off when you get to the top and ski down, best of both worlds. Been on most peaks in the Wasatch some of the best powder days of my life. Be sure to carry a beacon and a shovel and go with someone experienced. Know your avalache conditions.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Get snowshoes, pack your board. Snowshoeing is awesome, xc skiing sucks. Some people dig it, but xc skis flop all over the place and don't allow you to go up or down hills very well. Snowshoes are fun, easy, and more versatile in my opinion.

X2!! I owned some x-country skis, took them out twice and then gave them to my brother. I have been snowshoeing for years, its so much fun! AF Canyon has some great places to snowshoe, its totally different up there in the winter, so quiet when you get away from the road and snowmobile trails. One winter we were up there and you could hold hear the cannons going off over the mountain, doing avalanche control.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I would suggest ignoring other peoples opinions and go do a X country ski lesson (Classic) from either White pine touring or up at solitude.. I love X country skiing and detest snowshoes.. I can go up and down hills better on my X skis than most people can on their snowshoes.. its all about learning the proper technique.. once you have taken a lesson and gone a couple of times on rented gear then buy some if you want to keep doing it (and if it follows like every other year there will be plenty of brand new gear for sale on KSL by people who didn't take the time to learn how to do it and gave up for cheap).

roverrocks

Come to Grand Mesa which is east of Grand Junction, CO. Miles and miles of groomed XC ski trails which make XC much more fun and fast. Plenty of area to snowshoe as well. Plenty of area to backcountry XC or snowshoe as well. Beautiful rolling forests and open areas at about 10,000 Ft elevation. I spent many many fine days XC skiing on Grand Mesa in the past before bad feet and age caught up with me. I miss it. Also lots of snowmobile routes on Grand Mesa as well though I never tried it.

Hardcastle

My best advice is get over the lift ticket prices and go snowboarding.:)
I have a classic XC ski setup and enjoy the groomed trails near Snowbasin and North Fork canyon in the same valley.
For BC stuff I still take my snowshoes but it’s getting harder to keep up with the rest of the group on their split boards…

If you want to get real nerdy you can buy XC specific clothing but simple water resistant clothing that breathes will work fine. Keep in mind you don’t need to wear a lot of layers. It’ll get hot quick.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I liked xc skiing better than snowshoeing. If you're gonna do either you'll want a good pair of gators.

What we should do is find somebody with snowmobiles and write our own lift tickets. :)

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2