anyone know who collects vintage Coleman gear?

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I have a bunch of vintage Coleman gear and was wondering if you guys know anyone in the valley who collects the stuff? This isn't a sales ad, just need someone to point me to a collector if you know of someone.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
<------ This guy has a few dozen Coleman appliances from the 40's-70's.

What do you have? The reality is Coleman stuff is very neat, very collectible, but very low priced. You can't walk into a DI without finding a 60's or 70's 2B or 3B stove. Lanterns are a little harder to find particularly with the globe in place but you an find all of the OE resto places from online retailers or Vic's in SLC. Heaters, one burners, etc are rarer finds but again I've never paid more than $10-15 for a Coleman, going rate is usually like a IH Scout, "get it out of my garage" :D Again their are rare models, some of the mustard stoves demand attention, some of the zinc stuff, any of the WWII goods, Forest Service stuff, etc.. but even then they going rate is $50 for a stove someone just put $30 worth of parts into :D

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
<------ This guy has a few dozen Coleman appliances from the 40's-70's.

What do you have? The reality is Coleman stuff is very neat, very collectible, but very low priced. You can't walk into a DI without finding a 60's or 70's 2B or 3B stove. Lanterns are a little harder to find particularly with the globe in place but you an find all of the OE resto places from online retailers or Vic's in SLC. Heaters, one burners, etc are rarer finds but again I've never paid more than $10-15 for a Coleman, going rate is usually like a IH Scout, "get it out of my garage" :D Again their are rare models, some of the mustard stoves demand attention, some of the zinc stuff, any of the WWII goods, Forest Service stuff, etc.. but even then they going rate is $50 for a stove someone just put $30 worth of parts into :D

Agreed, There are a few of us always on the lookout

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I will take some pictures and post them up. Do you guys have any of the Coleman metal coolers? I may get one off ebay but am curious how well they keep things cool.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Do you guys have any of the Coleman metal coolers?

:cool: Do I?

a19ae1fe.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I will take some pictures and post them up. Do you guys have any of the Coleman metal coolers? I may get one off eBay but am curious how well they keep things cool.

I'd skip eBay and watch the thrift stores, again you'll pay more in shipping than I have paid for any of my coolers. As far as practical use, they are far more robust than a current generation cooler but they do not insulate nearly as well, particularly when compared to a Coleman Extreme or similar. I rarely use my Coleman coolers as a cooler rather as a dry food box as they have far more interior space compared to a modern cooler with similar sized exterior. I use it once a year as a true cooler (Relic Run when the fridge is not allowed ;), its marginal.

If your truly looking for a cooler that strikes a better alignment of quality and practicality, options exist. Engel, Yeti, etc however they are hundreds of dollars and often designed for larger applications.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I agree with Kurt on the coolers. Mine is usually used as a dry food box as well. Ice last a good day in them, but obviously keep it out of the sun or the metal gets really hot!

The vintage Coleman stuff is really cool and fun to collect imo. Its stuff I grew up with and I collect it as often as I can--or better yet as often as I find a deal I can't pass up ;) The older stuff is built to last--you just can't beat the quality for the price.

To this day my old man uses an ancient mustard yellow (matched the color of our 71 suburban back in the day) two burner Coleman to percolate coffee on weekend mornings when the family gets together. Coleman and white gas has always been a main ingredient when making the best coffee :D

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I'd skip eBay and watch the thrift stores, again you'll pay more in shipping than I have paid for any of my coolers. As far as practical use, they are far more robust than a current generation cooler but they do not insulate nearly as well, particularly when compared to a Coleman Extreme or similar. I rarely use my Coleman coolers as a cooler rather as a dry food box as they have far more interior space compared to a modern cooler with similar sized exterior. I use it once a year as a true cooler (Relic Run when the fridge is not allowed ;), its marginal.

If your truly looking for a cooler that strikes a better alignment of quality and practicality, options exist. Engel, Yeti, etc however they are hundreds of dollars and often designed for larger applications.

How well does that Extreme cooler do?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Never a shortage of relic gear at the DI.... Unless of course Scoutabout and Kurt were just there. :)

DI1.jpg

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
How well does that Extreme cooler do?

They do pretty well. I have a couple of them, and depending on ambient temperature and how often you open them, they do great. I freeze gallon jugs of water and use block ice in my food cooler, and since it's only opened a couple times per day, I'll come home form 5-6 days in pretty hot climate and still have ice.

If it's a beer cooler that gets opened more often and is refilled with warm beer every morning, the ice only lasts a couple of days.

I think if you kept the lid tight and the cooler out of the sun, it would take a week or so for a block of ice to melt in one.

ret32

Supposed to keep ice frozen for 5 days at 90*F. But you could just read yourself ;) http://www.coleman.com/coleman/Cole...egoryID=8581&gclid=CN7wjtnzwqgCFQkCbAodXHzUrA
Mine (50 qts), with 5 lbs of dry ice in the bottom, will keep a 8 lb homemade block of regular ice (denser than the blocks from the store) frozen solid for about 3 days, then it thaws slowly for another 2 days.

EDIT: I normally have 4 to 5 people in my vehicle and we are in and out of the cooler often.

Last edited: