Northern Utah Anyone wanna show me a few trails this week?

Troop92

Wife is out of town and I have some comp time to burn! :D Free to play Monday afternoon, Tuesday morn/day, Wed afternoon, Thursday all day.... Experienced behind the wheel but haven't been on any of the trails here in Northern Utah, and kinda don't want to go solo...

Any takers?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I need to get on Mineral again this year too. What are you doing Sunday, Kyle? Might try to get a run going after NPLD...

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Good news: I'm off work on Thursday and should have most of the day free.

Bad news: it's supposed to rain that day.

What to do? What to do?

Troop92

I need to get on Mineral again this year too. What are you doing Sunday, Kyle? Might try to get a run going after NPLD...

My wife is flying back Saturday evening. I'd say let's do something, but she's spending the week back east with her folks - her father was just diagnosed with an aggressive brain tumor last week, so I doubt she'll be up for much more than staying home. Chick flicks in my future.

Good news: I'm off work on Thursday and should have most of the day free.

What to do? What to do?

I'm not afraid of a little rain, though I did hear mountain snow could be in the forecast... So much for fall weather.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

What to do? What to do?

Wheel in the rain, obviously.

I have Thursday off. With the right incentive, I might be persuaded to put my steering back together by then and join a Trooper and a Wrangler on some dirt. Where are we going?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Wheel in the rain, obviously.

Okay, fine, talk me into it. ;)

I have Thursday off. With the right incentive, I might be persuaded to put my steering back together by then and join a Trooper and a Wrangler on some dirt. Where are we going?

It's not dirt I worry about but rather goopy mud than I tend to avoid. Still, I am open to suggestions. If we want to head for Mineral Basin, well, then I guess that's what we'll do.

Kevin B.

I'm hoping to hit Mineral on Sunday, and didn't you just go up there?

It's a bit of a drive, but what about the Deep Creeks? I haven't seen anybody report on the roads they just reopened out there, maybe we should go check them out. Hit Wendover for some prime rib on the way back. :)

Troop92

I'll go along with whatever. The harder the trail the more help I might need though, Trooper isn't as built as your rigs. As for distance, my Trooper has been sucking the gas lately, though I'm hoping to give him a once over before we'd go. If not, meh, gas is gas.

Troop92

From what I understood about the Deep Creeks, the roads they opened were just those that lead up to a few canyons/peaks without any major areas for wheeling. I'm pretty sure that was the trade - continued access to those if all other trails (they were concerned about off highway damage) were kept closed...

I'm honestly down with whatever, so I'll defer to you fine gentlemen. The extent of my travels is up Hardware Ranch area and to the top of Mount Logan... Only to come down sans clutch.

Last edited:

Troop92

Out of curiosity, how much damage can I expect? Sliders are on the wish list but I've yet to pull the trigger! I'm a few inches above a stock Trooper when suspension/tires are figured in.

That won't keep me from going of course. My rig is 20+ years old, so I'm not as protective as I would be with something newer!

Kevin B.

There's one little section you'll want a careful spot through. Other than that I expect you'll be fine.

Troop92

Cool. Add the rain for some additional drama, sounds like a good time. I can meet any time, really. I'll be coming down from Layton, but don't mind getting up a bit early.

Kevin B.

I work mids, Dempsey. I don't get up early for these shindigs, I stay up late :D. I could be at Tibble pretty much any time after 0930.

Troop92

Should we say 10am then, or would either of you like later? I have the whole day off, so it makes no difference to me.

And are we setting an opt-out? Pouring so hard you can't see and we call it, or change locations...? :rolleyes: