Northern Utah Anything planned on Turkey Weekend? (Nov 28th - Dec 1st)

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I logged into EU yesterday and saw the thread in the Northern section of the forum, must be the general one since I hadn't seen it previously either.

But yeah Friday afternoon would work well for me also. If I can get all my ducks lined up early then 1pm sounds good. Since lately it seems to get dark by 5 it will give us time to get out on the trail before it's too dark. I'm not familiar with much of anything past Layton so anywhere we meet up that is close to the freeway would be great. But if not then I can probably GPS it.

Spiral jetty sounds good to me also, it's all gonna be new area for me so I think we can hit several spots. Are you taking your family as well? Not sure if I will be bringing anyone along, depends how they feel about cold weather camping lol.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I will have my 12 yo son with me, but that is it. The rest don't do well in the cold.
I have been to the visitor's center, and did a short drive up there, but my exploration has been VERY limited, so it will be 95% new to me as well. I will pull out my map and books and find a fun route with some interesting stops and see what kind of fun we can have. I'll post up some more info later in the week after I get a chance to research some stuff.
I don't think I can meet too early on Friday since I will be peeling away from my wife's family that will be here from out of town. 1 is the earliest I can meet. There is a Flying J right off the freeway (on the west side of I-15) in Brigham City where you turn off to go to Logan We can meet there and gas up.
This should be a fun trip!

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Alright I will start setting up my cold weather gear to be ready for the trip. Looking forward to it!

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
No that's cool with me. As long as crazy people don't decide to join like the one we bumped into that one time lol

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
So, here is the plan I am thinking so far. Let me know what you think. Friday hit the East grade (real short but has some cool history), Spiral Jetty, and then head north west and camp somewhere coolish looking. Saturday I want to get out to Devil's playground, and scout around out near Grouse Creek.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Alright, I'm checking out those areas as well to get an idea. But the plan sounds good to me. What time Saturday do you imagine we would be getting back into town?

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Not too sure. I have never been up there, so I don't know how long it will take. I was also thinking of trying to make it to the northwest corner of Utah and hit the 3 corners area up there.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I was google mapping trails on my phone to get an idea of miles covered and gas involved to get through it. I'm sure I'll have to hit a gas station twice for sure.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Once I'm on a computer I can map it out better but so far it looks like a one way trip to Devils Playground and Grouse is in the neighborhood of 220'ish miles. That's not including the East Grade or any exploring or side trails that would be done. Carrying extra gas will probably be a good idea since my 4Runner only does around 200-250 miles out of a tank depending lol. Not sure how your Jk does.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I get about the same range as you do, 200-250 miles offroad. I will try to get a better idea of roads and mileage tonight when I get home. It will be a little less since we will take a more direct route than you have mapped, but I am not sure where gas can be found out there.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I have winter clothes and a winter sleeping bag but just a summer tent. Hopefully I can get by with that, I don't have a winter or 4 season tent to compare with. But worst case scenario I'll just sleep in the runner. What kind of tent do you use, opinions?

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I have a 3 season tent I am bringing with a zero degree sleeping bag and a propane heater. If you get too cold, there should be room in out tent for you. I will be bringing some wood for a fire too.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I was thinking of picking up an electric space heater that can plug in via the DC or a power inverter for this reason also. Hadn't thought about a propane heater but that's a good idea also.

Ill be bringing along wood also for the trip.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I am trying to map out the route today. I am really getting excited for this trip! I can't wait to explore that area. There is so much more than I thought.

sixstringsteve

you guys need to take lots of pics/videos to share with the rest of us who haven't been out there before. I expect a good trip report.