Jeep ARB Dual Compressor Installation

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I figured I would start a new thread with the start to finish pictures and description of where and how I mounted and wired my ARB Dual Compressor for my 2010 JKU.

I debated in my mind, and on this forum about what system to go with. In the end, I opted to go with the ARB dual compressor setup for performance reasons. I bought it from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters cause he is cool :cool:, and I wanted to have a local contact in the event the ARB has issues like others have notified me of (like DAA).

This is what I picked up from Kurt:

2014-02-14 19.52.38.jpg

2014-02-14 19.53.20.jpg

After discussing where to mount this with Kurt, and then doing some research online, I decided to mount it under the passenger seat. This way the compressor is away from the heat under the hood, and the air will be cleaner than mounting it under the Jeep where I had originally thought. So, out came the seat! 4 bolts holding it down, 1 torx holding the seatbelt to the seat, and 2 wires to the dvd headrest were all that was in the way of pulling the seat.

2014-02-15 21.08.33.jpg

Since I don't know how to weld, I dialed up my dad and asked for help. Between the 2 of us, we had enough flat Stock to build a bracket. There are some for sale on the interweb, but I wanted to see what we could fashion ourselves, so I laid it out, he welded it together, then I drilled the holes on my drill press.

This was the base bracket I started with.

2014-02-15 17.29.37.jpg

I mounted the compressor to it, bolted the seat back together, and threw it into the Jeep.

2014-02-15 22.59.18.jpg

I wasn't happy with how close to the carpet the compressor was, so I decided to try and mount it higher on the seat. I unbolted the seat from the rails, and while I liked how high this made it, the compressor would then slide with the seat. That would raise havoc on my wiring, so I decided to modify my bracket.

I bent the legs on the bracket to get it up higher, while still allowing clearance for the compressor to fit under the seat. Since this was several days after my dad had helped me in the beginning, and since I still don't know how to weld (or even own a welder), I did the next best thing I could at 11 pm, I bent 2 pieces for the other side of the bracket and drilled a hole for the best grade 8 bolts I could find in my stash of extras...:) Hopefully they hold.

2014-02-22 00.08.00.jpg

Then I test fit everything.

2014-02-22 00.06.13.jpg

2014-02-22 00.05.29.jpg

Satisfied with the mounting location and bracket design, I painted the bracket and the rail that I had buggered up.

2014-03-03 19.39.02.jpg

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Next came the hard part for me, cutting a hole in my jeep for the switch. I knew I didn't want to mess it up, so I had to be happy with where I put the switch, and get the hole cut the right size. This intimidated me because I didn't want to cut it crooked, or change my mind later...So it took me a couple of days but build up the courage to do it.

I decided to put the switch behind the cup holders, but in front of the arm rest. I really wanted it on the flat part right under the arm rest, but there wasn't a good way to make that happen, so I settled on the location it is.

First I drilled a hole at the top of the switch location, then with a utility knife and a straight edge, I marked the area to remove. When I got close to the final size, I would use the Utility knife to square the whole, and take little shavings off. It isn't perfect, but it works.

2014-03-04 21.04.32.jpg

Then I had to mark the material under the top trim to cut away too. I ended up re drilling some holes to move the wiring over to the side, but keep it secured like it was from the factory.

2014-03-04 21.05.47.jpg

Then I cut it out.

2014-03-04 21.20.38.jpg

After I cut it out, I did a test fit to make sure the switch would clear everything. I removed it after that to run the wiring loom in the console voids. I turned out clean IMHO.

2014-03-06 01.02.19.jpg

Then I had to focus on the mess of wires in my center stack. I have aftermarket DVD headrests in my front seats, and when they PO wired them in, they left a mess in the center stack that made it cumbersome to work with.

2014-03-04 21.31.05.jpg

I had to re run the wires to the headrests a little different to clean it up and get comfortable with what wires to tie into for the compressor switch. The switch calls for a hot with ignition on to start the compressor, and a dash light tie in for the night light. :) With a test light, I found both wires I needed, and made the connections. It may not look like it in the picture, but it was a TON cleaner.

2014-03-06 01.02.41.jpg

For the actual power to the compressor, I was BARELY able to reach the battery with the wiring harness provided. I dropped under the jeep through a drain plug under the pass seat, using the old plug as a rubber grommet for the wires. I then followed and zip tied the harness to the factory harness that chases up to the battery box. I crimped on some connection ends and hooked it all up. I really need an aux fuse and relay box so I don't have so many wires hooked directly to the battery.

2014-03-06 01.02.59.jpg

With everything wired, plugged in, and bolted down, it was time to fire it up! It was surprisingly quiet. I was very pleased! I sat on the seat as the compressors ran, and it is like being in a massage chair. It wasn't too bad, but would be annoying if you were sitting there with the compressors running for a long time.

It is hard to tell from these pictures, but the unit sits about an inch and a quarter higher than the first attempt, and it is about the perfect height. I can easily hook up my hose, there is plenty of room around the unit for air flow. It isn't close enough to anything to get them real hot, and it is stationary to the chair, so the wiring isn't getting tugged around.

2014-03-06 01.01.49.jpg

2014-03-06 02.16.53.jpg
2014-03-06 02.17.13.jpg

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I am really pleased with this setup. Tonight, I wanted to test it out and see if it performs as well as advertised. By using my inflator without the hose to air down, it took right at 3 min 30 seconds to go from 32 psi to 15 psi. I hooked my hose up, started the jeep and compressor, and aired back up. It filled my 37 from 15 PSI back to 32 PSI in just under 2 min (1 min 55 sec). I am very happy! Now I just need to invest in a better deflator!

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Good stuff. The ARB dual is where I want to go eventually too.

I like my Trailhead deflators, check 'em out.

Thanks! I will check those out. Where did you get yours?

How loud is it with it in the cab? That's one of the only detractors for me. I don't have the dual, just the small one (locker only).

I don't have a way to check decibels, and I know I do have slight hearing loss, but it isn't terribly loud in the cab. I haven't run it with the doors closed while sitting in the Jeep, but it is definitely quieter then my radio when I like a song...:) Next time I have it in SL, Ill hit you up so you can check it out.

Bart

Great write up. I just bought a slightly used one of those on Ebay and was wondering if there were any restrictions on how it could be mounted.

Bart

Thanks. From the pics I've seen it looks there isn't too many mounting restrictions. I love that compressor.