ARB or ?

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
A buddy of mine just bought a TJ 44 and was told it had an ARB and 3.73s. I've never installed a locker personally, but that doesn't look like an ARB to me (I'm thinking Detroit).

Also, can you figure out the gear ratio by only counting the teeth on the ring?

Thanks

Attachments

• 100_0415.JPG
    100_0415.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_0416.JPG
    100_0416.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 100_0417.JPG
    100_0417.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 100_0418.JPG
    100_0418.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 17

Caleb

gear ratio is 3.73, you can easily tell because if you look at the thrid pic over you can see the 41-11 stamped on the ring gear. That's 41 teeth on the ring gear, 11 teeth on the pinion, divide them adn you get 3.72727272 (or 3.73 :D)

As far as ARB or Detroit, I don't know but if it doesn't have the brass tube coming out it's definitely not an ARB ;)

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
gear ratio is 3.73, you can easily tell because if you look at the thrid pic over you can see the 41-11 stamped on the ring gear. That's 41 teeth on the ring gear, 11 teeth on the pinion, divide them adn you get 3.72727272 (or 3.73 :D)
That makes sense, thanks.

As far as ARB or Detroit, I don't know but if it doesn't have the brass tube coming out it's definitely not an ARB ;)
That's exactly what I thought.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Looks like a Detroit to me, ARB's are pretty easy to identify IMO. Not just the air fittings, but the case too.

Did your friend pay for an axle with an ARB? I'd be talking to the person that sold the axle, see if you can get some money back. ARB's usually cost a few hundred more than a Detroit would.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
you know I can't really tell from the pictures but that diff housing seems a little round to be a D44, not enough hard edges, are we sure its a 44 and not a 35?

but then again I don't see any c clips. just an observation...

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
Did your friend pay for an axle with an ARB? I'd be talking to the person that sold the axle, see if you can get some money back. ARB's usually cost a few hundred more than a Detroit would.
He paid $1000 for it, so ARB or Detroit it still seems like a pretty good deal, but you're right if it's not what was advertised he should get something back.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Yup... D44, Detroit and 3.37's..
Check those bearing caps... They look like they may be upside down or even wrong side.

See the G's stamped in the housing gasket surface, there should be a G facing the same direction and in the same area of the bearing cap. This designates right or left side, and top or bottom of the cap.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Check those bearing caps... They look like they may be upside down or even wrong side.

See the G's stamped in the housing gasket surface, there should be a G facing the same direction and in the same area of the bearing cap. This designates right or left side, and top or bottom of the cap.

Wouldn't plastigauge be useful in a situation like that? I'd use it in a few places around the cap. If you had a consistent tolerance that matched or was at least close to a known unit, I'd run it.

crazylegs

Thanks

I am the one that picked up the 44 with the ARB/Detroit. I am new to RME and this has been helpful. How well dose a Detroit work for a daily driver? I have a Power trax and it pops and locks and pitches me all over. I have to turn my blinker on if I want to speed up on the on the freeway. How will I do if I keep the Detroit In the daily drive. :confused:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I am the one that picked up the 44 with the ARB/Detroit. I am new to RME and this has been helpful. How well dose a Detroit work for a daily driver? I have a Power trax and it pops and locks and pitches me all over. I have to turn my blinker on if I want to speed up on the on the freeway. How will I do if I keep the Detroit In the daily drive. :confused:

I would think it would be more controlled. Since the Detroit locks itself up like a spool when you have torque on the driveline. With that said, it also opens up when torque is removed. Meaning, that your rig will over/under steer if you let off/put on the gas peddle when in the middle of a turn.

Make sense? So if you are already use to the effects now, the Detroit will offer the same effects, but in a different way. You'll definately see the differences immediately and have the ability to adjust your driving style to suit...

If you want to eliminate those effects all together, the only way to do that is with a selectable locker - ARB, OX, etc.